Friday, May 21, 2021

Decorating the booth

 


Renegades President and GM Steve Gliner joined me on the air for a stretch last week and asked about decorating the booth.

Oh, I've been thinking about that and by the end of the homestand, I added a few things from home.

There's a key to this. Things will fall off the walls if they aren't hung just right. A cross breeze can roll through if the window and door are both open.

So, using push pins, I hung up pictures of Lou Gehrig and old Yankee Stadium as well as a few other things, including a piece of baseball stadium art that Paul Silverfarb gave me.

Then it hit me; I want to honor the heroes of my business.

Will I just do one picture or a collage?

We all know the one picture. I mean, seriously, unless you've been living under a rock, you know who it is.

It's Mike Hirn. Of course.

OK, yeah, maybe Vin Scully also.

Anyway, I gave it some thought. If I go with a collage, these are the names I would consider:

- Vin Scully (because, duh)

- Red Barber (see the explanation of Vin)

- Mel Allen (I mean, he's "The Voice of the Yankees")

- Dick Enberg (The Renaissance Man)

- A group photo of Frank Messer, Phil Rizzuto, and Bill White (my Yankees youth. The first voices that grabbed me).

- Bobby Murcer (but I'd prefer it to be a broadcasting picture)

- Bob Costas (because, frankly, he's one of the greats).

So these are the people who have inspired me so much. Now, should I include Doc Emrick, despite him not being a baseball broadcaster?

Are there others I'm missing, keeping in mind this is a personal project? So, no, let's avoid some obvious choices, shall we?

Or should I just leave it at a picture of Vin and call it a day?

No comments: