Friday, May 28, 2021

New York, New York

 


It started in 1980 and I can remember hearing it as I prepared to leave Yankee Stadium.

"Start spreading the news. I'm leaving today..."

It just sounded right. So full of grace and class. A song about the city. Not, not just any city.

The City.

"I want to be a part of it..."

And with all due respect to literally anyone else singing the John Kander/Fred Ebb tune, there's really only one true version.

Frank Sinatra, baby. Francis Albert. "The Chairman of the Board," which is also Whitey Ford's nickname.

Sinatra. Dodgers fan. Yet he granted George Steinbrenner permission to play the song at Yankees games. Take that, Tommy Lasorda.

Oh, it's been played at other sporting events, such as the Rangers, and of course, the high-stepping version that Liza Minella did on the field at Shea Stadium at Sep 11, 2001.

The Yankees tried at one point to use Minelli's version after losses and Sinatra's after wins. That actually works well but Minelli didn't appreciate it and the idea was shelved.

So it's all Frank now.

It's got the obnoxiousness we New Yorkers appreciate but it's also got that gravitas that other songs just can't touch.

You can have "Sweet Caroline" and "Dirty Water." 

We have Sinatra.

I appreciated it when I heard places like Trumbull's Babe Ruth baseball program play the song -- correctly titled "Theme from New York, New York" -- following games at Trumbull High School.

Even in Connecticut, it just sounded right.

And now, I'm so proud that I'm hearing it at Dutchess Stadium. At least after wins, Sinatra's voice boomed out of the PA system. I hope that continues because, selfishly, it makes my heart feel good.

It sounds like baseball and the Yankees.

For what it's worth, it would also make my mom smile, as she loved that song.

"Play it louder so you can feel the bass," she'd say.

So I'd like to think there would be a little pride in that.

The Gades play the Yankees' classic theme song, "Here Come the Yankees," when the team takes the field each night. Playing "Theme from New York, New York" only caps things off.

I had no influence on the decision but I love that the crew in the PA booth are playing these songs.

It's great to listen to as I do the postgame and write my game story. There's a lesson in the coda of "Theme from New York, New York"  -- punctuated magnificently by Sinatra -- that anyone can appreciate.

"If I can make it there, I'm gonna make it anywhere. 

"It's up to you New. York. New YOOOOORRRRRRRKKKKK.

"NEW YOOOOORRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKK."

And the crescendo crashes to its end.

It's the perfect end to the night.

Bravo, Renegades.

Here's to spreading the news again tonight.

No comments: