Thursday, May 13, 2021

Learning the rhythm

I'm happy. Seriously.

Time is short this morning.

I'm getting the feel for life with the Gades. Things evolve and new duties appear. I think we're getting closer to allowing a guest in the booth -- if everyone is comfortable.

For the record, I am.

But, for now, I'm making sure that things are settling into a routine. At first, there were things we were going to do. Then it changed. Then it changed back. Being flexible and patient is key.

So, again, it's the routine for me. In my organized way, I made a written list of the reports to generate every day for each person that needs them.

There comes a point of peace. For Sean, who's still new to this, it can seem boring. For me, who's used to it, it's blissful.

Because at a moment's notice, it's game on.

In my case, it's the arrival of the lineups. Due to COVID, that's a process. President and GM Steve Gliner was the MVP, taking a photo of the lineup card which came in very handy.

From there, I got to work creating a lineup sheet for Rick Zolzer and two stringers in the press box, and ultimately, me. It's more than just type in the names. There are stats to enter as well. So, at that moment, quiet is needed.

Then I run down through the gift shop to the printer in the office to get back to the booth.

Again, it will settle into a routine.

I also add those names to my score card. Then I write the defensive alignment. Plus I prepare my computer with the notes and items I want.

It will get easier.

But it's also chaos.

I signed my score card from the other night for some reason. I don't know. I guess I just want the souvenir. Trust me -- no Hall of Fame will be calling for it.

One last thing: this tweet and few others from the team feature my play-by-play. They also feature the camerawork of Sean. Pretty special.

And that lineup card? The losing pitcher wasn't on the Aberdeen roster. Through a simple process of elimination, thanks to the lineup card, I scanned the available right-handed pitchers. Luis Perez hadn't appeared in a game. Bingo. Number 39 had to be him and it was, as I confirmed from a member of the Aberdeen staff at the end of the night.

Preparation and organization. Part of a daily nutritious breakfast.



No comments: