Sunday, May 02, 2021

Know when to walk away, part two

 

That was me this morning

This was not my originally scheduled post. I had that picture of Ryan Howard, the temp from "The Office" all set to go as my way of saying I wasn't in the most glorious of minds and was going to lay low. 

But...

The Renegades roster was released today.

I repeat: the roster was released.

We have the list of the players.

I set about making that roster look a little more official, meaning I put my tried and true Excel skills to work with the intention of it becoming a PDF or something proper.

So I checked all of the names against the list the team provided.

I checked each piece of information:

- Date of birth

- Bat/Throw on which side (or both, including throwing. Yes. Really.)

- Birthplace/Hometown

- Height/Weight

I was meticulous. I even found notes that weren't correct and, by the second draft, had those fixed.

Then we made adjustments to that so a third draft was necessary.

It took hours because I wanted it as perfect as I could get it.

And so begins the heavier work. Who hit what and where did they do that in 2019?

Who played in 2020, if anyone?

What little piece of information can I find to dazzle during 60 broadcasts?

To that end I dug through the 2020 Yankees Media Guide and pulled out all of the nuggets to create my own media guide. Of course, as it's electronic, it can be adjusted as the season goes along.

*****

Funny how this changed. I decided to make a "Know when to walk away" post again because I woke up just...ugh.

I decided you would not be reading that so I had a game plan in place so that I could post something and not sit at the computer all day. Thus, as I mentioned, the Ryan Howard (as played by BJ Novak) picture.

Best laid plans of mice and play-by-play announcers, amirite?

When I was asked to build the team roster, I went to work, albeit still grumpy, despite a morning that had me out early for breakfast and grocery shopping.

Thanks to dear Rascal for having me up at 4 a.m. after only falling asleep -- briefly -- a few hours earlier. I discovered much later that he had found some sort of insect and it had become his personal toy.

So I knew I was best to just stay away. I knew I'd see the roster announcement and I knew I'd throw myself into that but not to this extent.

I also had more equipment ideas (it's an obsession).

So much for doing taxes (including my mother's).

By the time I had to record a podcast tonight, well, you get the idea. The day got away from me completely.

And here I sit.

But I'm in a better place than I was when the day started. When everyone (it seemed) was on my list.

The week will be crazy and I have to keep my head about me.

Thus, I'll take a break when needed.

Unlike today.

No comments: