Saturday, May 22, 2021

Thanks, Brunswick

 

The first handshake line in a long time

Seasons change...

Suddenly, I'm fighting the urge to quote Exposé. They were a briefly popular 80s all-girl pop trio. Don't worry. I won't.

But, yes, seasons change and school years end, and time marches on.

In the life of a freelance play-by-player with no contracts and simple agreements, things can change fast. Oh, I have examples.

So part of me gets quite sad when a season ends like it did yesterday for my coverage of Brunswick baseball and today for Wick lacrosse. You make relationships and there's always turnover.

With that, we've reached the end of the line for 2020-2021, at least at Brunswick. The good news is that Wayne McGillicudy and I are already talking about football this fall, along with maybe some soccer and whatever else is needed.

It's amazing how few people know that I've actually been around Wick a lot longer than the past five years. We actually dabbled in calling games there 20 years ago. We did a small schedule of hockey games as well as some basketball and, eventually, football. But we've been a fairly consistent presence since 2016.

I don't take it for granted, especially now. I went nearly a year between Brunswick games before they called for hockey. 

Each team that I've covered (hockey, basketball, baseball, soccer, football, lacrosse, and water polo) seems to appreciate that, for the most part, I stay out of the way. I'd like to think they also appreciate that I'm fair and honest. While they might want me to be a homer, I think it's respected that I'm not.

The thing that I think often gets missed is that I'm not committed to any one team (except for the Renegades). The fluidity of these situations makes it so tenuous and that's why I'd like to actually call one place home.

Team. Company. Whatever.

That comes with a level of security. Plus benefits.

Alas, here we are.

With that, we say our farewells to Brunswick for a few months, with thanks to each team, Wayne, and AD Ron Van Belle. I look forward to rejoining you if you'll have me.

And Greenwich? Well, what can I say? This would be my 24th season covering the Cardinals. It's also my 20th -- COVID included -- as lead broadcaster on Greenwich football. But I assume nothing.

I'm not sure there will be any other high school games before late summer either. I was locked into a Mahopac softball game and it appears it got canceled, though I'm told they're also looking for a new opponent.

Right now, I'm supposed to call a Babe Ruth tourney. Plus there's the chance of some other stuff.

Mike Hirn would take me in Ohio in a heartbeat as he has more games than he knows what to do with. Don't rule that out if the timing is right.

I'm back with the Renegades on Tuesday.

No comments: