Sunday, May 30, 2021

Printed legitimacy

 

My view for the "Renegades Weekly" podcast

For as long as I can remember, Baseball America has published a directory of individuals in baseball. It covers the majors and the minors and other key personnel in the game.

I know I've owned a few editions over the years, including one that I bought at the Winter Meetings in New Orleans in 2003.

Each time I'd tear it apart to learn who did what for which team. I'm pretty sure that's how I found out that Sean Ford was the Renegades broadcaster 20 years ago.

I thought it would be nice to see the 2021 edition, which only came out a few weeks ago.

*****

I had a feeling there was no need to go to the stadium today but we have to go through the motions. Rick Zolzer does his Sunday talk show and I've become a de facto producer/on-site engineer and even a guest. 

I handled those duties and we found out the game was officially off due to the rain just as we were going off the air.

After that, Zach Neubauer and I did our "Renegades Weekly" podcast, which also frees me up tomorrow to do literally not a blasted thing.

With everything done, I decided to take a ride to Barnes and Noble in Poughkeepsie. According to their website, they actually had a copy of the Baseball American Directory. Honestly, I simply wanted to see it before I even considered plunking down $31 (plus tax).

I drove up as the rain poured down.

I walked in.

I went upstairs. Nope, sports is downstairs.

I found sports and...

and...

The book wasn't there.

I didn't hesitate to walk to the customer service desk. A nice girl working behind the counter was sympathetic, looking at the ISBN number on my phone.

"It's possible we have one," she said. "But the website might also be wrong."

We walked back to sports together. I was right in that the book wasn't on the shelf.

"I'll look in the back," she said.

Seconds later, she reemerged with a copy in her hand. I thanked her, took it in my hands, and opened it up.

It was smaller than I remembered and, for a moment, I wondered if it was only for the big leagues.

And then?

I saw it. A headline.

"HUDSON VALLEY RENEGADES"

My eyes scanned the format that I've long been familiar with. There was the office address and phone number and the website. There was the ownership and management. There were the names of my colleagues, superiors, and friends. Steve Gliner, Rick Zolzer, Joe Ausanio, Tysen Jeffers, and Tom Hubmaster. 

It would appear that Zach Neubauer joined after the notes went out for publication. That can also be said about Dan Fiorito and the on-field staff.

And then?


There it was, near the bottom of page 126. Radio Announcer: Nancy and Don's youngest child.

It felt like a coronation. It felt real.

I needed a moment to compose myself before I walked up front and bought it.

One small line of text made the book worth the purchase.

I've never been jaded. I look up in wonder every time my face pops up on the video board or when my voice is heard. I marvel at each tweet that includes my play-by-play (though less so when I don't like the call).

I still smile when I hear something I've done on WGCH.

Like, is this real? Have I really done this?

Yes, apparently, I have.

I've also received a few really kind words from fans, including a couple that trickled back via Rick Zolzer. Plus there were other kind things said from the FCIAC game on Friday.

I definitely appreciate them, despite my preference for "no news being good news."

We'll make today's game up as part of a doubleheader on Friday, June 18. The Gades are now on the road until June 15.

Right now, I have no games until then but we know anything can happen.

When people ask for my bona fides, I'll direct them to the 2021 Baseball America Directory, plage 126. 

(Using an old HVR logo, I might add)

I'm there. 

Finally.

No comments: