Saturday, October 31, 2020

Halloween, 2020

 


It's dead.

Halloween, amirite? (You know, dead, Halloween...never mind).

One year ago today, I made an announcement that sat pretty high on the list of importance to me. What made it so tough was that I had to sit on that news for two weeks. Basically I told Susan, Sean, Mom and a few others, but couldn't tell the world.

I announced it a year ago today.

Mock it if you want (and a few have) but being named the Hudson Valley Renegades broadcaster was a huge highlight of my life. It was a story of perseverance and being in the right place at the right time.

It was something I had given up on several times, only to see the door open slightly. This time, I busted through.

Why it took as long as it did was a longer story than worth explaining (again, as life takes you to strange places) but the point was it had finally happened. I won't apologize.

Of course, I waited patiently for those precious 38 home games (and some road games at my cost) to begin. Of course, they never happened due to COVID-19.

No hotel room in Aberdeen on June 18 for opening night. Jon was going to drive up from Richmond and (he doesn't know this) but I was planning to put him on the air sometime during the game. Daughters Rose and Lilah (and wife Rebecca) would have gotten a good laugh from that!

No drive to Troy or Lowell or Norwich. 

No drive to any other place I thought about. 

No juggling for the off days to go to North Carolina.

No camp games at 11 a.m.

No tarp pulls (if necessary) or figuring out what to do during rain delays.

No doubleheaders and, to that end...

No "Doubleheader" or "Clubhouse" from Dutchess Stadium.

No creating a new game format for the broadcast and new imaging of music and sounds and creating the style that I envisioned.

No letting the audience hear Chris Erway or Chris Kaelin or Shawn Sailer or AJ Szymanowski or Jake Zimmer or Paul Silverfarb or the myriad other friends that I wanted to join me to do color. Nobody was getting dragged up to the Hudson Valley.

No getting my niece or cousin to visit the booth.

No visit for Mom or Sean.

No hanging and laughing with Kristin and Zolz and Steve and Joe  -- the friends I already knew there, along with the myriad new friends I looked to make with the team.

No nights where I'd just "Scully" it (that is, call it alone).

No watching batting practice quietly (you learn a ton there) or sitting in the dugout or manager's office just talking.

No visiting with other broadcasters and media to learn about their team.

No media guide to pour through and absorb.

No postgame stories to write.

No swag, promotions, fireworks, or fighting traffic. No grief, for that matter.

Nope. None of it.

I visited "The Dutch" twice -- once to do "Doubleheader" and interview Steve Gliner and once to do a tournament championship doubleheader.

A year later, I have different work responsibilities and I'm at least aware and concerned for how we're going to juggle all of it come 2021 but I'm hopeful all sides will work with me so that we can make it happen.

A year later, I remain concerned about the armageddon that has been talked about with Minor League Baseball. Yes, I'm very aware of the rumor that Major League Baseball wants to turn the New York-Penn League into a college league. But I'm also aware that the Renegades are supposed to be moving to a full-year league.

But what I'm also aware of is that it's all speculation and until I'm told otherwise, I'm staying the course.

The team has made it quite clear that I'll still be their broadcaster come opening day in 2021. Where will that opening day be? When? How many games? Those things are all to be figured out.

Right now, I remain patient as I await news. It has become a painfully quiet October and will continue into November from what I can see.

I truly don't know when or if my next game broadcast will be and, in some ways, it's OK. I keep using the time for other things.

But I missed the Renegades in 2020. I hope they have me up to the ballpark, even if just to hang out.

This is how I see Halloween this year because, otherwise, I'd be going out of my mind as I sit in this quiet house with only #TheCat to keep me company.

A year later, I sit here awaiting the news of next season. I sit here waiting for the game schedule.

I sit here waiting to hear "Play ball."

It will happen.

I hope.

No comments: