Monday, October 12, 2020

7-On-7

 

Trumbull and Fairfield Ludlowe

I needed to come to an understanding with football this season.

Let's call it a "Come to Lombardi moment."

You probably know that there is (currently*) no tackle football this fall. Instead, Connecticut is allowing 7-on-7, which is glorified two-hand touch.

*I say "currently" because there's still a movement to create a private league. As of today, that idea hasn't gotten off the ground for myriad reasons. However, I don't have "sources" to fuel any speculation.

I resented 7-on-7 at first. I was angry for the athletes and coaches and families and everyone else. I was annoyed watching and listening to my friends around the country as they prepared for their game broadcasts. I was angry that linemen would have to participate in challenges that are separate from the 7-on-7 games.

I talked with Chris Erway about it from a broadcast perspective. I wondered if we would both pass on it.

I wasn't sure I'd give in, then two things happened.

First, Jeff Alterman of the TEN Network asked me to call Fairfield Ludlowe/Trumbull last Friday.

Then Greenwich coach Tony Morello asked me if I was interested in calling any GHS games.

WGCH declined to carry these fall games, so that left me to my own devices. 

I will add that, if there's a spring football season, WGCH will indeed be in on that. But it is worth repeating again that the only way to get the radio station (and me!) on those broadcasts is with sponsors. I've beaten that door about getting more games on WGCH but I can't do it alone. I still think WGCH and the Greenwich Athletic Foundation should team up for the most professional broadcasts possible from all angles.

But I'm just one person.

Having committed to Trumbull first, I honored that one.

As I've said, I show up to broadcasts when I say I'll do them. Are there circumstances that change things? Certainly, but how often does that happen? I feel guilty if that presents itself. Then again, I guess it's easy to bail on things when there aren't consequences.

So I went to Trumbull. Jeff Alterman and Sawyer Nicholas helped me call the action on Jeff's TEN (Trumbull Eagles Network), Trumbull Community Television, and on Robcasting.

It wasn't smooth. Not entirely. Ludlowe didn't have a roster, let alone coherent uniforms. Trumbull did and that certainly helped. On the air, we had an echo chamber at first, and the ladies from the TV station showed up just before game time. Also, the game started before the broadcast did. You know -- normally -- I'd be volcanic, right?

I was like a zen master. I was calm. I was chill.

I did what I could to get that Ludlowe roster and, at that point, had to accept there was nothing I could do, except call the action and have fun. The same went for the tech issues. See if I could help, have Sawyer jump in and explain what's going on, and laugh.

So I did.

As of now the analyst chair is open for Saturday at Greenwich High School at 10:30 (11 am game). There are things I don't like about any of this (personal stuff) but what I do like is the small measure of normalcy.

It was weird, yes, but it was nice to see some football. It will be nice to be at Cardinal Stadium on Saturday. It also gets me out of the house, and that's a good thing.

Plus, Coach Morello texted me this morning to ask if I would serve as the announcer for the senior day ceremony before the game. How could I say no to that?

If 2020 has taught us anything, it's that we need to be grateful for anything we can get. I understand so many things have been canceled, and for a good reason. There are other things that might have been canceled (or postponed) too quickly.

So if I'm grateful for a 60-game baseball season and bubbles in the NBA and NHL and for football in empty or partially empty buildings, then I'm also grateful for a short season of calling high school football for the 22nd fall in my life.

It's not tackle. I wish it was. I wish it was 11-on-11 with all of the trimmings. Plus, I still can't fathom being home for Thanksgiving.

I still can't fathom a lot of things about this year on a lot of levels.

But, as has been my theme of the year, I'll take what I can get, and I needed to realize that with 7-on-7 football.

It wasn't perfect. But it was something and I had fun.

So, I'll (most likely) see you Friday again at Trumbull and Saturday at Greenwich.

Home sweet home indeed.

No comments: