Tuesday, October 20, 2020

The Overnight Show

The view. Riveting.

 It's 12:21 a.m, as I begin writing and I'm sitting in an office.

I'm in Greenwich but I'm not at WGCH.

Funny how life works. An opportunity to get involved doing technical work came my way within days of my mother's death.

I'm able to put my skills with computers and videography and multitasking and even my voice to use on technology around the world.

As such, a job opened up for something international tonight and I figured I'd give it a go.

I had to come in at 7 p.m. and I have no idea when I'll be done. It might be 2 or 3 a.m. It might be later.

To an extent, I have to be vague about this because there's a level of confidentiality about it, though I'm not sure my writing this is a violation. Honestly, I've told you nothing.

The critics can say whatever they want but they never know the whole story. This is hustling to create and keep a life going.

It can also help keep the blues away.

I'm doing this overnight thing for only a few nights (Monday to Tuesday and Tuesday to Wednesday). Otherwise the hours are in the more humane side here on the east coast.

This is also a job that is still being structured. We're all trying to see how it works where I can still dash to games.

Plus it keeps me open for Hunt Scanlon podcasts and conferences.

In short, it's another building block and I'm so grateful for the opportunity and flexibility.

Again, it's hustling.

So I might keep updating this post as long as I'm sitting here or I might finish it up later tonight when I return, or both.

One thing's for sure: I do like when the post is done nice and early, but this is too early!

1:13 a.m.: Still going...as I hear an alarm go off nearby. Nope. Not my fault. It's a car alarm across the street. Well at least it gave me something to look at. There are elements of zoning out in this gig so that was a welcomed respite.

1:49 a.m.: I've opened the blinds to glance out at the Greenwich night. We're approaching the time in which traffic is completely dead and I'm here for all of it. The stillness is wonderful. But, of course, a car roars by as I type those words.

2:28 a.m.: A little secret: I woke up before 5:00 on Monday morning but laid low most of the day. I tried to nap around 1 p.m. to see if I could get my body to adjust but I had a feeling I was kidding myself. So I'm guessing I'm just hanging in there on pure adrenaline and fear of falling asleep at this point.

Working hard for the money at 2:43 a.m.


3:09 a.m.: It's over! Now to see if I can get home! Bonus: I get to do it again Tuesday night (as in, tonight!).

3:56 a.m.: I'm home. Well that was...fun? It was something, I guess. I'm not sure I entertained you much here but I'm going to get some sleep and try it all again.


No comments: