Sunday, October 18, 2020

Staying Quiet

 


Sometimes I'm just tempted to post nothing.

Well, it would be something, but more like a picture or a blank page or whatever.

A blank space (where I wouldn't write your name).

I'm not that chatty today.

I hurt my back earlier today trying to move some stuff around. Nothing that bad but enough that I finished up a little of what I wanted to do, threw some Tylenol in me and settled down.

Then I listened -- yes, as in radio -- to the Steelers beat the Browns. They blew them out, actually. The Browns' day is coming against Ben Roethlisberger but it wasn't today.

Oh, and I know they have to show the Jets and Giants here but the Giants/Washington game was so incredibly boring that I put "The Office" on while I listened to the Steelers game.

I don't really know who's open these days anyway, even if I wanted to go out and watch the Steelers but, then again, going solo wouldn't have done anything for me.

So, I was just as happy to listen to Bill, Tunch, Wolf, and Missi at home (the Steelers' radio team). Quick note: Tunch Ilkin, lead analyst and former Steeler, announced he has ALS last week. Good guy. He could use a little positivity sent his way.

Then again, couldn't we all?

Incidentally, Joe Buck is in the middle of a great run of multiple days of consecutive game broadcasts. Haters, line up! He's calling Rodgers/Brady...ahem, Packers/Bucs...and has more football sprinkled into his call of the World Series.

I love those stretches. They're great challenges, though obviously I'm not calling the magnitude of what Buck is calling.

But those days of four games in a day or a doubleheader or games over multiple days both wear me out and bring me such joy. There's a certain level of pacing involved. Still, excitement is excitement and it's hard to lay off the accelerator.

There's also the need for honey lemon drops. Lots of them. Because my throat hurts and my voice fades. I learned that lesson back in the 2015 Babe Ruth tourney in Trumbull.

So I hope Joe has a great run.

Lastly, I know the private football leagues kicked off around Connecticut yesterday. Kudos to all for making it a reality. They did a remarkable job of keeping it quiet. The silence was deafening at times but people would whisper to me that it was still a go.

Still, they didn't want any media attention and, at one point, any references to it were quickly deleted from the interwebs. Then a story appeared from Game Time CT on Friday and the cat was really out of the bag.

A few games were played yesterday. I saw some of the coverage, and listened to some more. I admire the tenacity of everyone involved. I'm actually fascinated by all of it.

Now I just hope everyone stays safe and they have a successful season.

Just stay safe and prove everyone wrong.

No comments: