Friday, October 02, 2020

An Honest Day

Nothing says excitement like Walmart, right? (Not my photo)

 I work my tail off.

Sports broadcasting doesn't seem like "work" and I've dealt with those slings and arrows before. There are some preconceived notions there that simply aren't accurate or fair.

That being said, I've started something that involves skills that I picked up over the years but isn't specifically broadcasting. It mostly involves Zoom and speaks to my love of multitasking and organization.

I'm going to stay vague about it for now as I figure out exactly what it is. But it gives me hope of something to do and hope of a paycheck.

I'm further hopeful that this and my work with Hunt Scanlon (I miss that crew) and broadcasting (hello? Local Live? Remember me?) will help me survive.

Plus -- obviously -- the Renegades. I have to say I'm waiting nervously for the resolution of the Minor League Baseball "negotiations" with Major League Baseball.

I say "negotiations" because, the way I understand it, MLB is basically telling MiLB what's going to happen. I've waited for the right opportunity and I can't wait for whatever the Renegades bring me.

This past near-month has been a roller coaster of fear and trying to tell myself that everything will be OK. So when I got the call about this situation I became cautiously optimistic.

I worked a long day at this opportunity (thus the title of the post). It was good, honest work, even if I felt like I was just reading at times. No, I'm not digging ditches but, sort of like broadcasting, it's brain power and a will of keeping my head about me.

But when I left -- even if it did cost me my show today -- I felt like I had put in a full, honest days work and I always like that feeling.

Then I had to shoot home, pick Sean up, and take him back to Fishkill.

One thing I'll alway appreciate about Sean is that he makes sure to say his "home" is with both of his parents -- not just one. Damn that kid is good.

I thought I was ready to be alone. I was sort of looking forward to getting back home and hanging out with Rascal.

But I had to go to Walmart to get him kitty litter.

That was when a bout of loneliness struck. I'm truly hoping I won't wage this war consistently. Indeed, for the most part, I'm back from feeling that way, but it was still sort of lousy as I strolled Walmart with a bag of cat litter pellets.

I took a bit of a long way home (US 9 to NY Route 301 through Fahnestock State Park to the Taconic Parkway in case you care) and got to work on cleaning the cat box.

Yeah. About that. I'll spare you the details but it wasn't pretty. There were towels and mopping and lots of cleaning involved.

In fact, it was gross.

But I HAD to get a cat, right?

Anyway, enough babbling. I have four baseball games to call this weekend.

And I'll work my tail off on those.

No comments: