Wednesday, October 30, 2019

The Night Before Halloween



Fate
Up against your will
Through the thick and thin
He will wait until
You give yourself to him

- Echo & the Bunnymen, "The Killing Moon," 1984.

I don't quite know why I found myself thinking about this song. Maybe there's no correlation to Halloween.

But it feels dark enough.

There's some romance in it. But it's deep.

Plus "killing" and "moon" are in the title.

So it works for me.

And so it's here tonight on a misty, murky, spideresque night.

Sure, it's also Game 7 of the World Series, and I've certainly got my eye on that.

But there are certain songs that just find it. They probably never found it again in their career, but Echo & the Bunnymen hit a stride here.



Maybe it's not cool enough. Maybe it's too easy. Maybe I didn't dig deep enough to find a song tonight.

That's fine. I accept all criticism.

The experts say It's supposed to rain tomorrow. So there are actually people who want to move Halloween to the weekend.

Yes, and I'd like to make Christmas more reasonable for the calendar. Thanksgiving also. Say, fourth Saturday of the month? Can we make that happen?

Humanity makes my eyes constantly roll.

Let your kids go out and get soaked. They're kids. Have fun.

I like Halloween. I like seeing the costumes. I like seeing the kids happy. I like seeing the adults do what they do. I haven't been in a place to participate for several years, and I guess that's fine. I have no parties to go to and I don't really have a social life. So I just take it all in.

The more I think about it, could we just make it official and have Vincent Price be the saint of Halloween? Just his spoken words from "Thriller" would be enough.

Baseball ends tonight. It's three outs away, in fact.

I'll miss it.

See you soon.

No comments: