Saturday, October 19, 2019

Not the Apple of My Eye

Current view
With all due respect to the late Steve Jobs, I'm fairly annoyed at Apple.

I've been a loyal Apple user for several years.

iPhone? Check.

iPad? Check.

MacBook Pro? Check.

I'm happy with my iPhone overall, and admittedly my iPad has aged, but it still works OK, even if it's slowed down.

But the MacBook? It wasn't exactly running speedy, and then I made the colossal mistake of moving to their new operating system, called Catalina.

And it's awful.

I've seen turtles move faster.

If you're of a certain age, you remember the days of the Heinz Ketchup ads that used the song, "Anticipation."



So, yeah. That.

Except, silly me, a computer shouldn't do that.

Especially not a MacBook, given its rather hefty price.

All I see as I type is a beach ball (or the spinning rainbow wheel).

I thought it might just be me, but then I talked to Paul Silverfarb at Madison Middle School's career night, and he's having similar problems.

So, two's a crowd at that point.

I blame myself for buying into the hype and performing the upgrade. It's my fault.

But, still.

I tried to play audio during my career night presentation. Nope. Didn't work. So I walked away and just kept talking. A solid five minutes later, the audio came on.

That's simply unacceptable.

I'm confident that Apple will rectify the situation eventually, but that doesn't help in the interim.

But I'm likely heading for a Genius Bar at an Apple store soon.

Consumers pay top dollar for these devices. Things should work.

It's that simple.

No comments: