Friday, October 04, 2019

Not Going to Happen Again

Maybe next time

I saw where the Fayetteville Woodpeckers minor league baseball team has an opening for a broadcaster again.

For the fun of it, I threw my hat in the ring last year. I actually knew what the end result would be.

Rejection.

They went with a young man who has chops but also likes cliches and trademark calls. That's his business as well as theirs. He checked all of the necessary boxes of what they were looking for, and good for them.

They added a young woman as well. All I heard of their broadcasts were a few highlights.

When I saw the latest job opening a few days ago, my reaction was immediate: "I'm not going for it."

And I won't.

Why would you go to the girl that didn't want to date you the first time?

They have their reasons and we speculated on that at the time.

The rejection, of course, was annoying to my confidence, but that was to be expected.

The shame is I would have been great for them. I would become the instant dad/big brother of the organization, plus I know Fayetteville about as well as anyone from north of the Carolinas can.

In short, I'd be Phil Dunphy. I'd be the "cool dad."

I also think I might have a small clue on calling baseball.

Then there was the fact that I probably would have had living quarters, with Kristy, Hector and family a mere 20 minutes from the stadium (if that). There would have been major upsides.

In the end, I hoped to get a little love to see if I could be tempted to leave New York/Connecticut. 

In the end, I didn't even land a phone interview.

I've reached out to Fayetteville a few times in the past to see if they'd like to come on the show and even wondered about doing my show from there. 

All I ever received was the job rejection.

They've got a great thing going there. Sean and I quietly visited the stadium shop back in August and I nearly bought a fantastic cap. Maybe I'll even get to a game there one day.

The stadium is fantastic and will be a driving force in revitalizing downtown Fayetteville. 

I wish them well with their next "Voice of the Woodpeckers." 

As for me, well, stay tuned.

*****
It's day 3 of Susantober. Her latest post touches on the scariest movie moment.

No comments: