Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Cars (to drive and listen to...sort of)

I realize Billy Joel isn't the critic's darling, but he's not that bad (Vulture)
I just got back from visiting a car dealership.

Foolishly, I tried to play in the land of leased cars and, in my usual style, it's turning into an epic disaster.

I'll spare you the details but my god is the car-buying process simply excruciating.

In short, I have to get out of the car that I'm currently in (which is now over-mileage) and get in something reasonable.

I need to get from A to B. In truth, I don't even drive for pleasure anymore unless it's with someone else. Virtually every mile is a commute or because I need something (grocery store, etc). Heck, even then, I combine the grocery store trip into the commute. God forbid Chick the large gray cat doesn't have his food, or that Sean the very tall young man doesn't have orange juice.

So, yeah, cars have become a bummer. A huge bummer.

This is my latest drama to keep me up nights. Simply trying to figure this out is exhausting.

As I've written before, I love to drive, and I miss being able to do just that. Jump in the car and go to Ohio to do a game with Mike Hirn and Nate Stidham (and to meet Nate's family, who grew by one earlier today)?

One day, I hope. But, most of the time, that involves renting a car. Such as when I did the hockey tournament back in May near Philadelphia.

Instead, I worry. Worry about the mileage. Worry about the car condition. Just...worry.

And I have to drive to Stratford, CT to teach shortly.

*****
How do Cars to listen to work into this post (which is, really, two posts in one)?

Simple: music.

That Cars are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and I saw the nominees for the class of 2020 are out. At this point, I simply laugh.

But...it got me thinking about who is the band with the most album sales that is not in the Hall?

Do you really think I'm going to bring up Huey Lewis and the News and their pitiful $30 million in sales? Nah.

Trust me, I get it. HLN is Bobby Murcer. Don Mattingly. Paul O'Neill. Good and occasionally great, but not for long enough or whatever stupid terminology you wish to put it in. HLN can also be seen in the same boat with Cyndi Lauper or, say, The Monkees (yes...didn't initially write their own songs, blah blah blah).

So, I nosed around and came up with an interesting and, somewhat obnoxiously, over-the-top piece on Vulture ranking every current member of the Hall.

I don't have the time to break it all down, but I suggest you peruse it. Honestly, I didn't read every word. I liked a lot of what was said and didn't agree with a lot either.

For instance, I thought he (Bill Wyman, though not that Bill Wyman) kind of dumps on The Mamas and The Papas. That one struck me. He also -- like most of the world -- overrates Prince to the point of being vomit-inducing. Which, I knew would happen and actually said so the day Prince died.

Prince is ranked sixth. Read that again. Higher than the Stones, I might add.

He rightfully puts The Beatles at number two, and I'm OK with it because number one sort of started it all. Though I'd still put the Fabs and number one.

And then he takes a large hacksaw on Billy Joel, but still has the smarts to put John Mellencamp AFTER Billy.

Plus I think he's dead wrong on George Harrison, but that's an opinion for ya.

Then again, in his writing on Fleetwood Mac, actually doesn't fawn just over Stevie Nicks but actually, says what I've been saying for FORTY YEARS: "Christine McVie is one of the greatest British vocalists of her generation (and wrote hits as well)"

Case rested (and nothing against Stevie Nicks at all).

Though how is it possible that Carole King isn't in the Hall on her own merit, by comparison? She's in as a songwriter but not as an artist. Like...what?

But...then he ranks Queen at 220, and calls them "the most overrated band in history." Which is simply dumb, and maybe he's just being an American snob.

But...he makes up for it with number 221 -- dead last:

Bon.

Jovi.

Look, let me go 10 years without hearing "Shot through the heart... (click)" which is how I know it.

Give some time for "Wanted Dead or Alive."

Don't even get me started on "Who Says You Can't Go Home?"

They, like Kiss, are a marketing machine. Like the Eagles (and I love them, but I get what they are also, and Don Henley is, overall, an ass -- he'd tell you that himself) they're a corporation (Henley & Frey LLC or whatever).

It's an interesting read and hopefully will make for a spirited conversation.

In a few years, we'll have the likes of Maroon 5 and Swift, Taylor to debate, I suppose. But, for now, this will do.


No comments: