Monday, October 07, 2019

A Case of the Mondays

A lifetime ago at Boyle Stadium. Sean Kilkelly and I are lower far right (contributed photo).
There are always topics.

There's not always time.

There's not always energy.

I'm still at WGCH, lacking the oomph to drive home.

I could actually sleep.

But, I know I won't.

There's a Yankees game to watch.

So, I'll start the drive home soon.

I still love an empty arena, just as I love an empty radio station.

There are no questions. No conversations. Just peace.

There's the hum of Jim Campbell's wonderful Forensic Talk show on as I type.

There's a story in the Evansville Courier & Press I'd like to call your attention to. Written by Chad Lindskog, it discusses the impact of high school sports on the radio still has.

Obviously that's a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I'm such a believer in it, even if things have become very diluted.

There are plenty of streaming options now.

I love what Local Live has done. I love the productions that Birds Eye Sports creates. I love, of course, what we've done on WGCH and Robcasting.

I love what DAF Media has done and what the Greenwich Athletic Foundation is starting to do.

There are opportunities. Great opportunities that I want to be at the front of.

Needless to say, that was my idea with HAN Radio/Network.

But I'll always advocate for professional-sounding broadcasters to tie things together. Obviously, that's a must on radio, otherwise it would just be crowd noise.

And, yes, "professional-sounding" is quite vague. What defines professional is up for discussion.

I'd still like to see radio play a big role in high school sports at WGCH, and it frustrates me how it's mostly gone away. I've said this before: WGCH used to cover football (Greenwich/Brunswick/Rye/Harrison/Port Chester/Stamford), basketball, ice hockey, baseball, softball, and lacrosse. I look at what Mike Hirn and Nate Stidham are covering on Ohio and it makes me crazy. Why aren't we doing that here?

One answer: money. We need sponsors.

Anyway, I'll stop before I drop down a rabbit hole.

See you tomorrow.

No comments: