Thursday, October 10, 2019

Thursday Thoughts

Me, Paulette, Ted

Not much time to write tonight.

Three different people told me about Fairfield University's tweet of an opening for a play-by-play announcer. I normally don't discuss these things publicly, but given the public nature of their post, I will acknowledge that I threw my hat in the ring.

Putting an audition tape together is painful. You have to find the ability to figure out calls and moments that you think are good. Sure, friends can help (and have), but it's a very personal process.

Plus, there's no recipe for success. You don't often know what anyone wants to hear. Do they want just highlights? Do they want an extended, but ordinary, section of a broadcast? Should there be a music bed underneath it?

For the record, I went with a key at-bat from Columbia and Yale baseball, a stretch of Brunswick ice hockey (and without a goal, I might add), a chunk of the final moments of the 2019 FCIAC boys basketball championship between Ridgefield and Danbury, a small stretch of Staples/Ridgefield girls soccer, a goal call from Darien/Brunswick lacrosse, and an AJ Barber touchdown against Danbury. It was a little over eight minutes long.

I realize Fairfield U doesn't have football, but I felt it was important to demonstrate my ability to call whatever is put in front of me. I also added a link to some highlights on video.

Then a resume and an email that served as a cover letter (also not a favorite thing of mine to do). I put a lot of care into it and sent it.

Nervously. Because that's just me.

But I also (almost) liked the sampler, and that's not me.

There have been some meaningful things written on Twitter about this for me, and I'm grateful to everyone, with Chris Erway, Eric Scholl, and Eric Wuchiski being especially kind. Plus the undying support of Susan, probably my number one fan.

I hope Fairfield U (and the Stags Sports Network) likes what they hear and that we have a meaningful conversation soon.

Again, this is way more public than I get about these things, but the nature of this was different. There are far too many other opportunities, etc that I don't discuss until there's a reason to do so.

*****
I wanted to spend a moment on the passing of my cousin, Ted Jennings. Ted was among the oldest of the Jennings cousins (with me second-to-last in the order) and, age-wise, was more uncle than cousin.

The child of my Uncle Oscar (my mother's brother and my godfather) and my Aunt Jean, he was also brother to my cousins Kathy and Laura.

My immediate memories of him are his booming voice and personality to match. I'll always remember his house in Louisiana, outside of New Orleans, and staying there for a few nights in 1975. He also lived for a stretch off Candlewood Lake in New Milford. I was, and still am, close to his daughter Pam.

This is also the first loss of any of my first cousins, with the exception of my cousin Scott who died at birth over 60 years ago. Mostly, my heart hurts for the entire family, including his wife (and my pal) Paulette. We've always laughed that there was one little boy there when they got married near Binghamton...

Yup. Me.

Ted loved life and laughter. He adored his wife, daughter, and sons, along with the rest of his family. He was a devoted father, husband, uncle, brother, grandfather...

And he was my cousin.

Ted was 72. His funeral will be next week in Tennessee.

*****
Ok, Astros. Let's get this thing going. Yankees/Houston for the American League Championship.

No comments: