Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Journalism

(Illustration: https://www.searchenginejournal.com)

My son texted me the other day.

"So I have a project in Economics where I have to interview someone based on the career we pick. You wouldn't happen to know any journalists I can interview?"

However, he didn't mean me.

"I don't know how they feel about interviewing parents."

Er...OK.

Truth is, play-by-play announcers aren't often seen in that light. But, I'll offer that I report, right? I research, right? I interview, don't I?

Plus, as you might know, I write.

Of course, Sean knows I am a journalist, given that he used to go with me on stories when I worked for the Wilton Bulletin, as well as other places where I wrote.

But, what made me want to do this?

I knew I wanted to be was a play-by-play announcer from a young age. I loved describing the action and telling stories. As we've said numerous times, that's really the nuts and bolts of it.

Along the way, I was told that my writing was OK as well.

So I began working on my writing. I began working on crafting stories.

I dabbled in writing sports recaps and features and, eventually, the opportunity to try news in Wilton came along.

That allowed me to use some of my other talents in my skill set, and I thought did just fine at it.

There's actually a notion that I never did "hard" news, and that's just not true either. I've had to do some very difficult stories in both sports and news.

Certainly sitting in a studio taking calls as parts of Greenwich were burning during Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy qualifies.

What I guess I'm driving at is that I'm a little defensive when it comes to being a journalist.

I am one.

I don't need to defend that.

For the record, Sean wants to interview Susan.

I'm glad.

No comments: