Thursday, October 24, 2019

The Wave In The Room

The booth at Cardinal Stadium (2018)
As I said last night, I'll be behind the mic for the Darien/Greenwich football game on WGCH, Local Live (via the Greenwich Athletic Foundation) and DAF Media (who will produce the video of the broadcast).

I appreciate the faith that Damian Andrew and the Darien Athletic Foundation has put in me, as well as Chris Erway, to call a fair game.

I'm seriously honored to be behind the mic on DAF Media, just as I was for Darien/Brunswick lacrosse last May.

I know my friend John Sini of Darien also supports my handling the call, even tweeting that the A-Team is coming to DAF Media.

Still, I'll be very cognizant of calling it fair.

There will undoubtedly be naysayers.

Team voices have ascended to national/network calls many times, including the World Series until the mid-70s. Vin Scully, Mel Allen, Red Barber, have given way to Joe Davis, for instance, who calls games for the Dodgers as well as FOX.

Yes, I'm associated with Greenwich football. So is Chris.

But I'm also associated with Brunswick. And Mahopac. And the FCIAC. And several other teams.

As you probably know, I'm from New York, so I didn't grow up with the Cardinals. Greenwich has kindly accepted me since I came to town in 1997.

But I have to be fair.

Chris is from Norwalk and played for Rob Trifone at Brien McMahon. I can't stress enough that he doesn't care who wins or loses on Saturday.

Chris and I believe in the same philosophy that says scoring, regardless of team, is exciting. So are big plays.

Most of all, I simply love calling games.

Want an example? One of my favorite calls is this from the 50th (and final) FCIAC Championship football game on Nov 26, 2015. Chris and I had the call on the HAN Network as Hudson Hamill of Darien grabbed the game-winning score.


Check this out on Chirbit

I've heard charges of bias before. We all have. Every journalist hears it. Joe Buck hears it on a daily basis.

It is -- overall -- garbage. Few things can make us angrier.

I'm hoping this has quickly and painlessly cleared the air before the air needed clearing.

Hopefully, Darien fans will sit back and enjoy the ride on Saturday at 3:50.


No comments: