Friday, July 26, 2024

The Kind Words INSPIRE

 

Simsbury late last night.

It took hours.

A long, congestion-filled drive to Simsbury and a long, construction-filled drive back to Greenwich.

Trumbull beat South Windsor in the Little League game that I called and the reviews were glowing.

We'll come back to that.

I didn't get home until 1:30 this morning thanks in part to detours in Farmington and Waterbury that thwarted my progress.

But after initially saying that I could probably only do last night's game, well, how do I not go back tomorrow for the first of the championship games?

So, yeah, I'll be live at 11 a.m. If Trumbull wins, they head to Cranston, RI for the regional. And yes, there's already been talk of me going. In fact, an out-of-state fan messaged me about calling those games. In truth, I don't think I'm allowed to call those games but...

Let's cross that bridge then.

If Trumbull loses, there will be a winner-takes-all on Sunday. I absolutely can not do that one. Sean and I have a commitment on Sunday morning.

PARODY but REAL

As for the comments, I've recently been having fun taking real compliments that I've received and turning them into over-the-top Facebook posts. They've largely been parodies even if the statements are legit.

But many -- most -- don't get the joke and that's fine. Please note the CAPS in the title of the post tonight also.

The argument is that I should be promoting myself but I've always believed the broadcasts aren't about me. They're about the players and coaches and families. They're for the listeners. I just talk and I don't think I do anything particularly special.

In fact, Bobby Gerbert joined me last night and the game was more about him than it was me because he has a son who played in the game.

Post from Instagram

Basically, every Trumbull fan at the field in Simsbury last night came over and thanked me for calling the game. We also received a lot of nice comments via messages.

They mean a lot. In fact, all of that is exactly why I'm going back tomorrow.

But this business keeps people humble. No matter how hard I work, how many compliments I post, or how good the quality of the broadcasts are, the Yankees, Steelers, etc aren't magically offering me a job. They're certainly not doing so based on a Facebook post.

It takes word of mouth, some good fortune, and the right connections to get these gigs. In short, you never know.

Anyway, such self-promotion has always made me uncomfortable. I feel like such things belong on LinkedIn and I certainly don't think the same comments and pictures should be posted repeatedly. It just screams of narcissism.

And despite any wise cracks, my hat size remains exactly the same because I have to remain grounded. There's no room for a swelled head.

So while I may occasionally post more of these goofy items, don't expect to see them on a daily basis. I'll leave that to others, regardless of my just not getting it.

I'm just going to keep grinding out broadcasts as much as I can.

Like tomorrow. 

Which will be transmitted through my MacBook Air, which I got back from Apple yesterday.

No comments: