Saturday, July 27, 2024

Little League State Champs

 

Chris Kaelin, center, was among the umpires today in Simsbury

Trumbull has done it again.

If you recall, Trumbull advanced to the Babe Ruth New England Regional in North Providence, RI last year. Their head coach Mike Buswell, working in tandem with Waterford's head coach Lucas Beaney, made it happen for me to go to the tournament and broadcast the games.

I went and had a blast.

Trumbull won that tournament and advanced to the Babe Ruth World Series in Fredericksburg, VA where Mike and company wanted me to hang around again. After driving home from vacation in North Carolina for a few days to teach at CSB, I jumped in the car and drove to Virginia.

While in Virginia, Mike told me he would be putting his coaching energy into Little League baseball this year, where his son Bryce would play.

Mike Buswell on Facebook

Tonight, Bryce, Mike, and Trumbull are state champions. They won the 8-10 Connecticut title over South Windson 6-3 early this afternoon. Bobby Gerbert and I were there for the call on Robcasting and Gamechanger.

And, apparently, the conversation has already begun about me going to the Eastern Regional Tournament in Cranston, RI.

And, once again, teaching at CSB is causing me headaches.

The tournament begins next Saturday, though Trumbull doesn't play until Sunday. They also play on Monday (and I have to teach on Monday).

Oh, and I have to teach on Tuesday also. So, at best, I could drive to Rhode Island on Wednesday and stay for the rest of the tournament. I'm not against that.

But. Not so fast.

There's also a cat to take care of. And -- hang on! -- my cat coverage will be out of town.

So. my odds of a long stay in Cranston, RI aren't great at the moment.

I can't get upset. Not tonight, anyway, but I am a bit frustrated. I've wanted to get away and I can't take a break. Sean leaves for Myrtle Beach later this week so he'll be gone and I'm happy for him.

But dear ol' dad has to hold down the fort back in the hood.

No, tonight is about letting Trumbull celebrate their triumph.

They've become a baseball machine and I'm glad. We need towns like Trumbull that not only keep baseball going but are also such a family and community.

And they're always so wonderful about pulling me in as if I'm one of their own.

I did glance at Trumbull when looking for a place to live but it just worked out best to get the place here in Greenwich.

Conversely, I am beyond fed up with Connecticut traffic. I told you the details of the drive to and from Simsbury on Thursday. Well, the drive to Simsbury this morning was fairly pleasant, shockingly. So, wanting to resolve the nightstand issue from Ikea earlier in the week, I went to the New Haven location and bought a larger one that might be sufficient.

Then I started for home and sat in traffic on 95.

Congestion? Accident? Construction? All of the above?

Oh, I want to chat with Gov. Ned Lamont and understand it. 

(Before any road enthusiast says, "The state can't afford it," please don't waste your time)

It is some of the absolute worst traffic in the country. Like, read that again. 

But, again, all is well. We got home in one piece.

I could moan about the Yankees. Nah. It's too repetitive at this point.

Oh and I could scream about having to run to the grocery store after 9 p.m. in basketball shorts and a faded football jersey to get food for the aforementioned cat.

But, silver lining, the Stop and Shop is basically around the corner.

And I suppose that's the bottom line. Take today as a good one and be reminded that the good can be found in everything.

Trumbull is the state champion tonight and they want me to call their games. Or just hang out with them.

What's not to love?

No comments: