Monday, January 11, 2021

Wow

 


There are moments that Chris Erway and I would experience in the booth during Greenwich football games. Normally a glance, perhaps off the air during a break.

Greenwich would score on their first drive, almost with ease, and he and I would exchange a look that spoke of total shock.  Not because they scored, but how easy it was. We knew we might be in for a long night of having to fill airtime in a 55-7 GHS win.

I imagined that exchange tonight as I watched the Pittsburgh Steelers -- my team for the last 40+ years -- getting annihilated by the hated Cleveland Browns.

The Steelers were down 7-0 after one play, as a bobbled snap turned into a Cleveland score.

If I'm being honest, I'm actually writing this post on Sunday night during the second quarter. It's 28-0 and, barring a remarkable comeback, this one is, as Mike Francesa would say, "Goodnight the lights."

Game over.

Here's why it's OK.

It's OK because I'd rather get my butt kicked than lose a heartbreaker. 

I occasionally hear about 2004 and the Yankees' epic seven-game loss to another team. While 1) I deny it ever happened, 2) it was 2-0 after the first inning, six nothing after two, and 8-1 after four. You never say "never" of course, but I'm also not that dumb.

So, at 28-0, I'm past the initial shock, followed by rage. I've reached acceptance.

An ottoman might have been thrown at one point, but to my knowledge, there's no video of said event.

Super Bowl XLV. That hurt. Down big early, they rallied and were one their way to a (I'll say probable) win as they had all the momentum in the world. Then Rashard Mendenhall fumbled.

Super Bowl XXX. They were big underdogs. But they nibbled against the Cowboys and had the ball with under five minutes to play down 21-17. I warned people of that. Then? Neil O'Donnell forgot which team he played for.

AFC Championship Game against San Diego? Three. More. Yards. Say no more.

Those are just a few football hurts. Then there are the baseball ones.

1981: Up two games to none against the Dodgers. Nope. Got their tails kicked in Game 6, so the pain lessened. 

1995: Edgar Martinez.

1997: Sandy Alomar, Jr.

2001. I'll add nothing further.

And so on.

But, at least here tonight, as they get close to halftime, I think a comeback could be lovely. Lots of fun. Memorable. Window-rattling.

This, by the way, is why I prefer to watch these things with people. I tend to stay calmer.

Yet, at 28-7 (they just scored), I'm calm. There's no game going on. It's been over for some time.

Best of luck to the Browns.

And this is when I question why I continue to do this to myself.

Is it baseball season yet?

NOTE: It was 35-10 at halftime. Pittsburgh didn't give up but they never quite reached the point where my heart climbed back into it. The Browns beat the Steelers, 48-37. There will be much to say about the Steelers at another time. The Browns were far better tonight and I congratulate them and their fans. Emotionally, 28-0 made it easier on me. So, while I'll watch the rest of the NFL playoffs, and hockey and basketball, I ask again: Is it baseball season yet?

No comments: