Monday, January 04, 2021

Lexi

 

Contributed to the Darien Times

There's a dog named Lexi who has been missing from a Wilton home for nearly a month.

Susan wrote about her in the Darien Times and people are posting on social media.

My heart breaks for the family and for the dog as well.

So, if you spot a sweet yellow lab mix around Greenwich/Stamford or wherever her path takes her, please don't approach her. Just keep an eye on her. Susan's story has details.

Pets capture our hearts, which probably comes as no surprise here. I don't have much patience for the "it's only an animal" crowd. Yes, I realize sometimes we can take it a wee bit too far but for some of us, that's sometimes all we have. In other cases, they're an important part of the family.

I've had that anguish, losing cats a few times. Some came home and some didn't. 

Then there was Fred, who left for a long stretch and eventually came back. Years later, I made the mistake of letting him back out again. That went OK for a time.

Then he didn't come home.

It took six years before we brought Chico in, and you might recall how that went. He was supposed to be a visitor. He was supposed to stay a month or two.

He stayed four years and, after promising myself I wouldn't get attached...well...

The point is, I get the pain of Lexi missing.

I also didn't think much about adding another animal. How did that work out?




I say that as I glance to my left where a bratty black cat is currently sound asleep, minutes after terrorizing the house once again.

Pets bring the loneliest moments a little companionship. Even Rascal, in his small ways, will follow me around the house. He sleeps with me and, when I was sitting on the couch the other night, he sat in his tower. You could almost sense he was keeping an eye on me to make sure I was OK.

So, I get it and I think a lot of you do also.

I'm rooting for you, Lexi. Let's get you back safe and sound.

*****


A quick heartbreaking side note (sorry to be a downer tonight): the Dodgers announced that Sandra Scully, the wife of Vin Scully, has died of ALS.

Sandi was always "the boss." Vinny mentioned her every year when he would announce that he was coming back.

"So long as it's OK with the boss, I'm going to stick around for another year," he'd say.

Sandi Scully had been battling ALS for several years and was seen using a cane in later years when she'd come to the ballpark with her husband.

They seemed like a perfect duo. Vin's heart had been broken before, losing his first wife before getting a new lease on life with Sandi.

Now, tonight comes the news that she has passed also, after 47 years of marriage.

We send our condolences and hope for strength to Vin and the Scully family.

No comments: