Saturday, January 02, 2021

The Roadcast

 



In the world of podcasting, there's a production studio board called the RodeCaster Pro. Made by Rode (of course), it's essentially a mixer with some nifty bells and whistles.

Mike Hirn bought one and has been telling me to get one for what feels like years. Dan Macom, video depo boss deluxe, has one and I've "stolen" it from him (or borrowed or might buy it from him).

In the world of podcasts, there's a new program called The Gribblenation Roadcast. Powered by the crew at Gribblenation, Adam, Doug, and others will be chatting about all things related to...well...roads.

And I am here for all of it.

I've listened to the first two episodes, which partially serve as an introduction to what they're going to do, as well as a recap of road travel and infrastructure (or what travel anyone could do) in 2020.

Dan (Roadwaywiz) also has his video series, which included an interview with a sports broadcaster/road enthusiast a few weeks back. I'm considering therapy because there are two "thumbs down" on the video. It's OK. I'll adjust.

I've said many times that I fell in love with roads traveling to and from Florida as a kid. Having a father who was a delivery driver for a plumbing supply company enhanced that love to where I began collecting maps and even dabbled in a few road photos as a kid.

I just assumed I was weird (I was right, of course, but not for being interested in roads). 

But, with the interwebs came my awakening that I wasn't alone in my love of such things. I discovered a treasure trove of sites with pictures of roads, signs, and the history of these roads.

That led me to discussion boards and Facebook groups and now a podcast.

As I'm writing, I'm watching and listening to members of the Gribblenation crew, Laura from MDRoads.com, and others conduct a virtual tour on YouTube of the West Virginia Turnpike, though it was all about football when I first tuned in.

Safe to say this is my kind of group.

It's far more than just a video. They're telling history that is sometimes technical but also comfortable for the layman. They're laughing and having fun. It's loose and friendly, with a live chat ongoing.

Given I don't get to travel even a hair as much as I'd like (pandemic or otherwise), I'm able to live vicariously through all of this.

They're a welcoming bunch, so if you think you might be intrigued (and entertained) by it, I recommend giving The Gribblenation Roadcast a listen. 

At least give it a drive-by. Yes. I went there.

No comments: