Sunday, January 31, 2021

The calm before

 

The numbers have been fluctuating. At "press time," we're looking at 20 inches of snow.

It's Sunday.

The Lord's day, they say.

I call bull, but your mileage may vary.

Tomorrow, we're getting smacked by a nifty storm that is being described as a noreaster, though it seems most storms of the past 20 years are noreasters. Once upon a time, that term wasn't used. I've heard the noreaster is still rare but the term gets used too much and incorrectly.

What do I know? I love the Weather Channel and hate naming storms. They still name them, and this thing might bring us 20 inches of snow.

Have I mentioned I hate snow? But, will this be enough to shut everyone up about not getting enough snow around New York?

(Answer: "No")

Sean is here and his car has been safely tucked away where it won't get plowed in. In other words, he's in the driveway. We have another place that we park during times when we don't have to play musical cars. But he's safe and sound (and so is the car, of course). True to form, his grandparents gave him things for his car for Christmas, so he has a cover across the windshield. Leave it to them.

It's also the calm before another Monday...that just got cleaned up.

I went from three -- count 'em, THREE -- Monday podcast sessions, plus Doubleheader to now just one podcast and Doubleheader.

At least I'm getting paid for one of the above items.

Mondays have become my non-depo day. I don't like it that way, but at least I can focus on other things.

There will be a breaking point sometime in the future. That is actually a promise.

I had another promise posted here. I took it down. Patience. Patience.

On the more positive side of things, I've packed what I think I'll need for Wednesday and Friday at Brunswick. However, our trip to Virginia appears to be a likely COVID casualty. You'd think club hockey games in Lynchburg, VA wouldn't be a problem to get space in a press box, right?

Wrong.

Or Raleigh, NC?

Part of the problem is both NC State (Raleigh) and Liberty University (Lynchburg) have their own broadcasts. So where does that leave a father-son duo from New York making good on a promise for friends from Connecticut?

Exactly.

So, if heading to the land of abundant Waffle House locations is out, then Sean and I have a Plan B in the works. We'll go somewhere -- socially distant -- that gets us our beloved food options and a night or two in a hotel. We were planning on running away before Mom died. Then we said we'd do something after she passed and still haven't honored that. So, we will. 

Somehow. Responsibly.

The site of Dunder Mifflin probably has the early lead but, to be fair, what more is there to do if places are still closed? We've gone there a few times and are big fans, but one can sit in a hotel for only so long. So that's what we're thinking about.

I seriously don't get "whomever" is in charge of this thing we call whatever this is. My brave, bold niece has battled cancer ferociously. She still has a ways to go and it's her story to tell. A little more publicly, Charlie Capalbo, who has been on "Doubleheader" with his dad and brother, is dealing with cancer for the third time. Yes, a third time. This family is tough but can endure only so much. They have a Greenwich background while calling Fairfield they're home.  A GoFundMe has been established

Charlie is 22. Like, really?

Someone will explain these things to me one day. At least I hope so. Because I don't get it.

Charlie and my niece are both tough. Tougher than I will ever be.

While there are too many down elements to this post, we try to remain positive. Please be safe in this storm and be good to each other.

No comments: