Friday, January 29, 2021

A picture of a waffle


This is a picture of a waffle. It was taken sometime in the last 5-10 years, from an establishment called Waffle House. 

Waffle House is a chain that is located around the United States, with no locations in the northeast. The nearest ones to me are in Bethlehem, Allentown, Scranton, and Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania.

The picture could have been taken in any of those locations. It also could have been taken in several locations in North Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, South Carolina, Delaware, or Florida.

I think those are all of the states that I've been to Waffle House in. At least until I get to Ohio.

The waffle is placed on one of Waffle House's standard fine plates, using its traditional waffle mix and cooked on a nearby griddle. A member of the wait staff brings it and other plates over to the table.

While it can be ordered on its own, this waffle was part of a larger order, known more formally as an All-Star Special.


My All-Star Special order traditionally consists of hot coffee (with cream and sugar), the aforementioned waffle, a slice of ham that I cut up to add to my hash browns (covered, with cheese), white toast (remember: I'm lame) and scrambled eggs with cheese.

When my mother was still alive, I might have a taste of the grits she always got and some of the orange juice that she inevitably, "only wanted a sip of."

Pictures of food are harmless. They generally receive laughter, some scorn, and a certain level of praise.

"How could you eat that?"

"Looks delicious!"

"Why don't you take me there?"

"No thanks."

Otherwise, it's completely benign. It's not controversial or uncomfortable to talk about.

This is the way to go. Nobody gets hurt with pictures of kids and food and pets (cats, anyone?).

So, here. Have a picture of a waffle.


No comments: