Monday, January 25, 2021

Sometimes it's nice to be wanted

That's my spot, right near the "U"

Part of me feels like Michael Jordan tonight. Oh, trust me, Jordan and I have literally nothing in common, except we were both at Yankee Stadium for Derek Jeter Day in 2014.

But Jordan once put out a press release on March 18, 1995 when he returned from his first retirement. It had one quote from his Airness: "I'm back."

Well tonight, I guess I'm sort of back.

I got a great Monday present courtesy of Jack Campisi, my friend and colleague at Local Live. He was writing to introduce me to Wayne McGillicuddy, the new football offensive coordinator at Brunswick as well as my new contact in the athletic department.

Included was an invitation to call three upcoming hockey games at the Hartong Rink. Was I interested?

Er...yeah. Sure. That would be cool. 

ARE YOU KIDDING?!? OF COURSE!

And so begins the juggling of schedules. "The Clubhouse" will also be a part of the craze. Eventually, the Renegades will come along. Plus I'm committed to Dan and Craig and 360 Service Partners, where I do the video depos. And there is "Talent Talks," the podcast I do for Hunt Scanlon. Plus, eventually, I'll get back to hosting their conferences.

I'll give each one of those things my all to my usual point of exhaustion. Like, now.

But I can now reassemble the game bag. I can decide which mixer I want to use. I can start researching this Brunswick squad.

I have to find the right cables and pack the car.

Finally, I can put the headset back on and go back to my sanctuary.

It's my place and, when I'm in control of it, there are few other places I'd rather be.

John Nash and I were interviewing a horse racing track announcer tonight (SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT) which you'll soon hear on The Owners' Box Horse Racing Podcast and we were discussing that same thing. Your problems go away when you're calling an event and, if the problem is still in your mind, then it really is a problem.

The best times are when it doesn't feel like work. I can tell you there were days where it did and that wasn't fun. Of course, that will be part of my long-awaited (no, not really) book.

It's just three games (plus, potentially, the two college games in Virginia if they come to be) but it's hopefully a start.

I've called Brunswick athletics on and off nearly as long as I've called Greenwich High. It took a long time to be known around there, but I enjoyed it and I've worked hard at cultivating the relationships.

I know broadcasters are replaceable. While GHS fans were kind to me when I came back officially in 2016, I'm smart enough to recognize that times change. I sort of wonder if times have changed there to a point for me. I hope not, but such is the life of a freelancer also.

There was something that told me this is could be a new beginning. I'm hopeful for...wait for it...baseball, of course, and whatever else comes down King Street.

Of course, I'd get a kick out of doing lacrosse, because that's the last Brunswick sport I called. Now, I know it's considered "high risk" (ugh) but it would be fun to open the broadcast with the following: "So, as I was saying..."

And you know I would. "As I was saying" before COVID interrupted us, indeed.

One thing: as I said, times change. People and personnel change. To that end, I'll miss my friend Joe Early, who I still talk to occasionally. While there were days when he probably wanted to choke me (and sometimes deservedly so), I truly appreciated his support and guiding hand. I know he was a fan and always wanted the best for me, to the point of wanting me around Wick even more.

He allowed me to dream big, even if it didn't come to be.

We worked hard on all of it, from the leaky tent for baseball to running from the diamond to the Cosby Field for lacrosse. He got me a couple of road trips as well that I enjoyed a lot (one for hockey, one for football, and one for lacrosse). 

Tonight, I'm not being greedy (but I wouldn't say no to more).

As I'm sure you can appreciate, a kind word, a little communication, and a feeling of being wanted goes a very long way. I got that today.

It's just three games. I'm hoping it leads to more, of course. But I'm grateful for this to start.

I've whined a lot about how much I miss calling events. I have. I've admitted jealousy lovingly towards my friends while pleased for them.

But, on Feb 3 at approximately 3:55 p.m., I'll start talking about ice hockey. I can't predict what I'll say, but it might sound like this:

"From the Hartong Rink in Greenwich, CT, this is Brunswick Bruins ice hockey. Hi, everyone, I'm..."

Back.

No comments: