Thursday, January 28, 2021

Let's keep talking

 

I didn't do it for the attention.

In fact, I'm not always one to look for attention. Especially not about this.

But almost two years ago -- Jan 30, 2019, to be exact -- I wrote about #BellLetsTalk. The goal is to raise money for mental health initiatives in Canada.

In truth, it's an opportunity to shine a light on mental health, which I think is actually more important now than it was even in 2019.

In that same post, I opened up about some of the struggles I've had. It wasn't easy and I wrestled with going public and I worried about the reaction to it.

I worried for that very reason -- that someone would think I was seeking attention. I suppose it's fair to say I was, but really, I was seeking understanding and maybe even help.

But I did it so that others would understand that if I could say something then you could also.

I did it so people could understand me. We all have a face that we hid away forever, as Billy Joel once sang. We're not always as we appear, especially on social media.

So, thinking I could use my little platform, I spoke up.

The post, tagged with #BellLetsTalk, also gets a very small donation to this worthy cause. However, if you share it or post your own tweet with the hashtag, or do one of several options below, you will also contribute to mental health initiatives.


I realize this is for Canada but I still like the idea of helping in such a small way. Plus, I love Canada!

I further like the idea that we're talking today and hopefully every day. 

You don't need me to remind you that 2020 was perhaps the most damaging year in recent memory for mental health, and things haven't quite improved yet.

COVID damaged our spirit. Many couldn't handle the isolation of sheltering and quarantining. The students who lost so much -- proms and sports and concerts and graduations and social activities. The adults who lost so much as well.

Mentally, it was hard to keep "it" together.

And let's not even talk about politics, though I suppose we can. Regardless of what you think of former President Trump or current President Biden or anyone else, it felt like we were in a constant tornado of filth.

Simply the day of the insurrection was enough for me.

It was and can still be so hard to see the forest for the trees. We're going to get there, but it's tough to see the way out of the darkness.

As we watched Broadway go dark and the Boston Marathon get canceled and so many other traditions that were shut down, it was easy to sink into the depths of despair.

Job losses and businesses closing and death and hatred and other stress and on and on.

Depressing, for sure.

If you're a reader of this corner of the world, you don't need me to tell you about what has gone on around these parts, but my spirit remains firm on grasping at gratitude for what I have while struggling with what has been lost.

That's why this initiative from a Canadian company is something I hold near and dear. No, it's not an American thing -- MURICA! -- but it's a conversation-starter.

You know someone who is fighting the good fight.

I know someone who is also.

Unfortunately, it's like cancer. We all know someone struggling with mental health issues.

Be there for them. Tell them it's OK to take that leap and talk about it.

I did. It was scary. Very. But the reaction was worth the risk, and it will be for you also.

Silence makes me crazy. I often have people around me who struggle to talk or simply don't talk. Lack of communication drives me nuts.

Please. I've proven for basically my whole life that I'll listen. Just, sometimes, I respond.

But my phone line is open. The therapy is free.

Don't be the person that we're saying, "If I only knew" about.

Let us know. No problem is too small or too large. Everyone has their thing -- regardless. It's your thing and there are no questions asked.

You're not doing it for attention.

Neither did I.

Let's talk.

(And, please, remember the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 800-273-8255)

No comments: