Sunday, January 03, 2021

The guilt party

Not me. Not today, anyway

Among the myriad things rattling around in my head is a daily dose of guilt.

Let's deal with today's edition.

I was scheduled to go to a birthday party for my great-niece Gabby ("The Gabaroo"). Besides, how can one not go when she announces to the world that you're her favorite "great uncle?" I'm not sure what's so great about me, but she's hysterically funny and I'm happy to go.

Then came the forecast. We were looking at 2-4 inches of snow along with sleet/freezing rain.

So begins the internal struggle.

"GO!" says my brain, my father ringing in my ears. "You'll make it! Get up there, visit, have some food, and get back home."

"It's a birthday party," says my rational, common sense side. "It's not essential. Be safe."

So as Sean got ready, I studied the weather apps and checked with my go-to information outlet.

Yep. The Weather Channel.

The information was inconclusive from all sources.

I checked for Amy Freeze on WABC-TV, but she wasn't on. Yes. Amy...Freeze...the meteorologist. Joke all you want. She's heard it all and she'll laugh with you.

As Sean was finishing up and nibbling on waffles (if only they were from Waffle House), I glanced out the front window.

The snow started to fall as Rascal tried to snack on my hand.

Crap.

It soon got heavy. The road was covered. The driveway was covered. Sean's car was covered.

So now it became a question of: should we try?

I was talked out of it.

I texted Ashley, my nephew's wife.

Everyone was great about it and I don't think we're really missed.

Yet there's still that guilt. Still that feeling of I should have tried.

We didn't get 2-4 inches. We got some and there's certainly a freezing layer falling now.

And I'm not afraid to drive in the snow, having done it many times, but I'm wary of it. I've dealt with headaches over the years. I have the (mental) scars to show for it.

Instead, I got to stay home and discover that my work computer has stopped working (I'm on my laptop). So, after trying to get it to turn on, I came to the conclusion that it will bring me a trip to the office ASAP.

As I glance outside now, a salt truck drives by, trying to eliminate the layer of glaze that is on the road.

I'll take that as a sign.

Despite feeling like I'm weak.

No comments: