Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Say hello to my not-so little friend

 

Carter's Run (photo courtesy Wasabi Stables)

I'm the host of a couple of podcasts. One is my own (with Mike Hirn) which is currently on hiatus ("Tales From the Booth").

One is "Talent Talks," which I produce for Hunt Scanlon, and I just recorded a new one yesterday.

One is "The Owner's Box Horse Racing Podcast."

Correction. "The Owners' Box..."

Co-conspirator John Nash texted me today. Now, if you don't know, John has been a minority owner in various racehorses for a year or so and owns a part of 2020 Kentucky Derby champion Authentic.

As his passion grew from something he started doing on a whim, so did the idea for the podcast. He asked me to help and I decided to give it a go, acknowledging that I'm a novice at horse racing.

I loved Secretariat and Seabiscuit and Ruffian and War Admiral and Seattle Slew and other horses I've read about or watched, but it's far from being something I'm knowledgeable about. John was fine with that, so we became the duo of me as the host/technical guy and him as executive producer and the one with more of a horse racing foundation.

We both also know a thing or two about doing interviews. So, it works.

So, back to the text today. John was the "owner" in "The Owner's Box" but he has invested in another horse and, this time, has added me to the fun.

Call it a thank you gift for not screwing the podcast up!

Carter's Run (photo courtesy Wasabi Stables)

I have a one percent piece of Carter's Run, a six-year-old gelding from West Virginia. Now, that one percent could be a small piece of the gorgeous chestnut that you see and I wouldn't care at all. I've loved horses since I was a kid.

He's run 31 times and has won seven races. Yup. That's my boy!

So, thanks to John for this wonderful gift. If I may be shameless, owning a horse in this regard is not necessarily a large investment, so if you've ever considered it, please check it out. You might be surprised how easily you can do this.

Now don't expect to get a Derby horse necessarily, or make any money. Honestly, that's not even a concern to me. It's just an honor for me.

I have a lot to learn, of course, and a new world to stick my toe into.

I'm grateful for John's gift, even if I never look Carter's Run in the eye. It's fun to be able to say I own a horse.

A very small portion of a horse.

And listen to "The Owners' Box Horse Racing Podcast" (the name and the comma don't really need to change) wherever fine podcasts are listed. You know, Apple and so on.

No comments: