Saturday, January 23, 2021

Starting to go out of my mind

 

At Brunswick, 1/29/20

It was Nov. 21 and I knew I was done.

Despite saying time after time, "I don't know when the next broadcast will be," I knew that Saturday afternoon at Somers High School would be my last game for some time. It's been 63 days.

I'm sitting at the computer, listening to Jake Zimmer call Providence hockey against U Mass. He's doing a great job (Oh, don't worry, I'll nitpick him) and I was sure to tell him how jealous I am.

Mike Hirn is doing basketball in Ohio.

Plenty of others are working. People are only too happy to remind us of that in the Facebook play-by-play group.

I know very little of my future. The Renegades, yes, but there are still questions to be answered there of course.

For instance, we still don't really know our league, definitive opponents, protocols for each stadium, travel restrictions, and so much more.

I'll expand on that slightly. For two months, I thought Bowling Green would be a part of the new league. Then, tonight, I discovered that Lake County, near Cleveland, appears to be in the league. So, yeah, I remain confused and wanting answers. On the plus side, I made a new connection tonight, so there's that.

I know Connecticut is coming back, and there are positive signs finally in New York also. But, well, does anyone want me?

Even if the answer is yes, then we're back to talking about logistics, etc.

I miss Greenwich High. I miss Brunswick. I miss the FCIAC. I miss the FAA. 

I miss Mahopac High and Carmel High and Section One. 

I miss Local Live and the Greenwich Athletic Foundation.

I miss the listeners, whose comments often keep me energized.

I miss my personal cheering section, reminding me that I'm doing this for a reason.

And I really miss WGCH stepping up and doing more games, but that ship seems to have sailed (inquire within why I say that, though, short answer: sales. We need sales.)

It stinks when you believe you have a skill that you can offer and you can't use it.

At this point, I'm ready to take an eight-hour drive to call two games that I will lose money to call.

I promised former Greenwich goalie Nick Bozzuto that I'd call a college hockey game of his if we could ever make it happen.

If ever there's proof of my "Have headset, will travel" mantra, well this is it.

We were going to try to get me to Texas at one point, but that didn't happen. I actually thought our time had passed, especially with COVID.

Then he and his East Texas Baptist University Tigers scheduled games at NC State in Raleigh and Liberty in Lynchburg, VA in early February.

Now, you'd think that Raleigh would be the no-brainer and, at first, it was. Kristy and family are only 90 minutes away and I'm familiar with NC State, of course. Still, I feel irresponsible going from this hockey situation to my immune-deficient niece. I'll get to see them later in the year under the right conditions. I need them and they need me. 

Moreso, as I looked into the Raleigh rink, it seemed like a nice place but probably a difficult place to broadcast from, even if they'd actually let me in to call the game.

Liberty, on the other hand, has a press box in their arena. They're playing two games there, so it felt like there could be a weekend trip to Virginia.

Plus, I wouldn't have to miss any work time. I'd leave on Saturday morning and come home sometime Monday. I'd watch the Super Bowl in my hotel room.

So, now I'm waiting for the details. Am I welcome? Is Sean welcome? What are the protocols? And so on.

I've plotted this carefully. I'll (or we'll if Sean is with me) socially distance, wear a mask and so on. I'll also pick a hotel that seems to focus on cleanliness.

I've obsessed over it. Every day, I check the rates for hotels in Lynchburg as I await any kind of information.

I'm really close to booking a room...and yet...I haven't done it.

This is what I do. I run through the hotels, study where they're located in relation to the rink (and the nearest Waffle House for takeout) and keep repeating the process. 

Now I just want answers.

Of course, some play-by-play brethren will scowl and scorn.

"How dare you?" they'll say. There are those who wouldn't dare to do such a thing and that's their business. I have a different take.

It's simple. I'm building a brand. I could use a break from New York. Hopefully, boosters step in or a sponsor jumps out, or a meal gets bought.

At the very least, swag will be accepted.

Sometimes, it's just nice to do something for friends. That paying it forward approach sometimes brings nice results.

It's my business if I'm doing this. If Sean goes with me, it's a much-needed getaway for father and son. If I go alone, well then it's a much-needed getaway for me.

Because a caged play-by-play announcer can only go so long without a game.

No comments: