Saturday, January 09, 2021

The Kohl's Coupon

 

I got a nice reminder that the smallest interactions can be really positive. 

But let's come back to that.

I decided to buy a cardigan today.

Yes, I know. If there was any way to further my reputation as a lame, vanilla guy, a cardigan is certain to accomplish that.

There's a logic here. I've told you some about the video depo gig. In short, I'm making sure depositions are taken remotely and that everything is good technically. That means I am on camera during the Zoom call, if only for an hour.

Dan doesn't have many rules but one thing he prefers is a professional appearance, and I'm all for that. To that end, he asks for a collar (or a neat pullover).

So, ever since September, I have been in jeans, shorts, sweatpants, jogging pants, or even pajama pants. However, I'm also always in a button-down shirt or something appropriate.

Once my on-camera time is over, I normally throw a hoodie on. But, there's always a chance that I'm needed back on camera, no matter how rare, so I'd like to be ready in a pinch.

Enter Craig, who showed me he got a cardigan for Christmas. 

"Just comes in handy," he said.

I immediately found myself liking the idea over most of my other off-camera options. As it is, my office gets quite cold. I'm guessing it's the draft from the windows or the heat just isn't reaching me. 

So I hit the interwebs for some ideas. Kohl's had some options but it's not necessarily easy to buy sweaters two weeks after Christmas and most of their online ideas weren't in my size.

To avoid cabin fever, I went to Brewster, NY to visit Kohl's in person.

I looked around. Nothing. OK, they had a few options, like a fleece jacket that might do but I didn't like the way it fit.

They had some pullovers, but I have some of those. Nah.

This was beginning to look like I went to Kohl's to just take a ride when I found a chunky charcoal gray cardigan, and it was even in a comfortable size.

And then? That voice...began...to speak...

"Come on," it said. "Even with whatever discount they offer, that still seems expensive. Really, it's something you might not even wear in public, save for the Zoom calls. You have bills and..."

I stopped listening, tried a few things on, and did what I often do: I left, slightly overwhelmed.

I went to Marshall's in the same shopping center (a short car ride down the hill). They were picked over like the proverbial Christmas meal. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear they were going out of business. I was out the door within five minutes.

(By the way, this is why Sean and others normally love shopping with me. I work with a purpose and I leave...unless I'm struggling to convince myself to buy a cardigan.)

I was going to head home before I made myself go back to Kohl's, holding my pride clearly in my hand and squishing it like a bug.

"Stop being stupid," I said to myself (words I utter daily).

I approached the original, ill-fated gray sweater again.

I tried it on again and spied a young man on the main path outside of the men's department. I thought little of it, except to take note that he noticed me. He walked away and that was it.

I continued on. I looked at a few other things. There was a nice suit jacket (yes, I have a weakness) in the brighter blue that is the latest thing. I definitely couldn't justify that, even on clearance.

I went back to the sweater as the young man reappeared. He made a slight hesitation before turning right to approach where I was standing, in my confusion.

"Here's a coupon," he said. "I was making an Amazon return and I don't shop here."

The coupon was for 25% off my purchase. At that point, how could I say no? Stop being a dope and buy the damn "Dad sweater."

I thanked him, grateful for his kindness and whatever signs "the fates" had presented me.

I bought the clunky gray cardigan. I'm wearing it right now. I'll still be able to pay my bills.

The Republic will survive.

And, sometimes, I have to remember to be good to myself.

So I sit here, feeling warm in a cold office as I type this blog post, feeling like we could all use something positive.

There's good in the world. Really. Don't let this week tell you otherwise.

Even if it's just in the form of giving a stranger a coupon.

No comments: