Thursday, January 07, 2021

We must move on

 

Cardinal Stadium, Greenwich, CT

Yesterday was bad.

You know it and so do I.

As always, the sun rises the next day, clouds or not.

And so, we steadied ourselves, dusted ourselves off, and got back to life.

I was in the Greenwich area and decided I needed to see Cardinal Stadium -- currently sans bleachers and press box -- for myself.

I was only there for a minute, and it was all that I needed.

The thought of new bleachers, a new press box, and new life at that facility remains pretty exciting.

I look forward to christening it with its first broadcast.

Not long after I left Cardinal Stadium to go over to WGCH, my phone began to tingle. If you're to believe the tea leaves, it appears that confidence is growing for a return to sports.

I remain cautious at best. Not pessimistic, but wary. As I've said since last March, the messages remain very mixed. Now, suddenly, we might see high school sports in Connecticut again? How? Why?

And why are we not hearing much of anything in New York?

I hope this news is true and we'll soon see games resume.

The athletes, coaches, and families have all waited long enough. But, if I may, allow me to be selfish.

When will the first game broadcast be?

Look, COVID-19 is still a reality. We're not that far out of the woods and I remain steadfast in my belief that the media can be an important element in the return to play.

There's no justifiable way that stands can be filled, either because health officials don't approve or because people are still nervous.

That's where I come in. And others, of course. But, as I said, allow me to be selfish.

When I finished calling soccer on Nov. 21, I was fairly certain it would be some time before I'd do another game broadcast. Nearly seven weeks later, I'm still waiting.

Given the news that Minor League Baseball won't return on time -- and the Renegades likely not hitting the field before May or June -- it could be a long, quiet stretch.

Or, with Connecticut potentially opening up again, I could throw the headset back on to call hockey, basketball, and whatever other winter sports are played.

There's still the question of an "alternate season" that would allow for football, but as I tend to do, I'll believe it when I see it.

As such, Robcasting is here. I'd say WGCH is also, but that's a little more involved, as there is more to negotiate there. But I have headsets (and other equipment) and I will travel.

I've invested in Robasting and continue to do so.

There's no question I miss the games and the camaraderie. I miss most of it.

If there was anything I don't miss, it is the politics of all of it. I don't miss the various "Voices-Come-Lately's" and inflated egos while trying to protect mine. I don't miss the wounded feeling.

I come out of the slumber ready to go. There's a chance of hockey in February outside of Connecticut.

Whatever happens, I look to remerge with a desire to collaborate and put on the best, most professional broadcasts.

Just as I have for roughly 25 years.

And so, we keep moving forward. 

No comments: