Monday, August 31, 2020

Back To Little League



It's an honor to be selected to call games for Fairfield American Little League baseball once again.

I'm grateful that the folks at FALL recognize the product that we put forward.

Shawn Sailer and I were on the broadcast tonight as they opened their district tourney against North End of Bridgeport. All games, in fact, will be played at North End's nice digs in the Park City.

As for the game, well, it...um...was all Fairfield American.

American won 15-0, led by Carson Dodder who hit two inside the park home runs and drove in eight.

I spoke with one of the North End kids after the game told him their team has some good defense. He seemed to appreciate that.

That's the beauty of it. Bummed as they might have been, the kid was smiling and just happy to be playing.

I love it.

I'd make a bigger deal of the fact that it was also a no-hitter, but it was spread between three pitchers (Dodder, Nate Swineford, and Jake Palladino) and it was a 15-0 in a "mercy rule" game that ended after four innings.

I think that's my fourth no-hitter broadcast, for whatever that's worth. That leaves me only 19 behind Mr. Scully.

The other thing that pleases me is, although it's late in the day, it means I was hustling through traffic to the game and made my way home. In total, probably close to three hours (!) in the car.

But the hustle, setting up and breaking down, the call of the game itself, and the effort back at home to edit the broadcast, post it and write this blog, gives me a certain level of joy.

That's a fairly normal thing to do. If only there was a lot more of it.

But, alas, we know the deal. So no point in dwelling on it tonight.

Instead, I'll focus on continuing to learn this group of Fairfield American players as we get to our next broadcast -- Wednesday at 5:30 (though it might be moved to 5:00 p.m.).

All of the action can be heard live on Robcasting Radio.


No comments: