Wednesday, August 12, 2020

They Will (Supposedly) Play


I'm shocked.

No, really, I'm shocked.

Dave Ruden tweeted earlier this week that the CIAC football committee recommended that football be moved to spring 2021.

I thought that the idea would be rubber stamped, with all fall sports to eventually follow.

Today, the CIAC Board of Control took the rubber stamp and threw it in the garbage. The ink was dry.

They are planning to play football -- and all fall sports -- in 2020.

There's just no way I expected that.

Look, I was very pragmatic about this whole thing. If the decision was that it was best to not play then I was willing to accept that. Many coaches weren't happy about the season being moved and let their feelings be known but it felt like it would be to no avail.

Athletes were also upset.

Media had their say as well.

Shockingly, I was a fairly calm voice in the room.

But, strike all of that and reverse it.

Fall sports can play on.

I went from assuming that I would have a crazy quiet fall to back to awaiting a schedule and figuring out how we are going to broadcast it.

I remain pragmatic. Is it truly safe? Is it not? The answers differ and I think it should be up to the players and their families to decide if they want to play.

It's also up to Chris Erway and me to decide if we're comfortable broadcasting (which we've discussed and we both feel we can do it and be safe about it).

Are the schools comfortable with us being there? What will the limitations be? There are so many things to figure out now.

Beyond football, I'd be happy to see more sports get called around my world, and I'm throwing the door open to making sure those sports get the coverage they deserve.

So I'll leave the complaining to others. I know this: I feel more comfortable with athletes together on a field than not on a field. But it will take a concerted effort to follow the protocols and be safe.

And -- I feel at any minute -- it could all fall apart.

Would I be surprised if they don't play? If this whole thing changes? No, not at all. This is not a business, as opposed to the pros, and even Div. 1 college football (let's be honest: it's a business).

But, I did think that the CIAC, much like the PAC 12 and Big 10 conferences, would postpone the season, in part because of -- wait for it -- "the optics."

To be honest, I wouldn't blame them.

This is a bold move by the CIAC.

One that I'm intrigued by.

Where, in the pros, #TheyWillPlay (and they will), this is different.

I'm in. But I'm fascinated.

And, maybe, confused.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Rob for being one of the sane and non-political voices in the media. We are so grateful the CIAC has not taken away my sons football season.