Thursday, August 20, 2020

An Early Start

The sun is rising and the car lights are still on. Give me all of it
I was up early this morning.

Well, actually, I really didn't sleep, so I was sort of up all night.

But I had to be out early this morning.

So as I stood outside, with a cool August breeze hitting me, I looked at the lone star in the otherwise clear pre-dawn sky and pondered how I'd love to be hitting the road.

North Carolina. Yeah, that's an August tradition dating back a few years now.

But, of course, that's not meant to be in Pandemic Paradise of 2020.

I'd love it. Empty roads, alone in my thoughts with maybe the radio to keep me company.

Watching the sun come up as the traffic builds.

Thinking about if I'm making good time and taking notes -- mental, physical -- of how the drive is going. Where will we stop? Where's the first Wawa? I need some coffee.

I've talked all about this before, but it just sounds so sweet.

It reminds me of sports and other things that we can't have in 2020 and how I won't take it for granted. Sadly, not everyone sees it that in way because all they do is perpetually complain.

Really? You want to throw the season out because of seven inning no-hitters? Shove that up your asterisk.

But I am grateful, and will be the next time I'm able to really hit the road for the bigger road trip. I long for the site of the Delaware Memorial Bridge around 8 a.m. after scraping along through New Jersey for a couple of hours.

That means a trip is getting serious and I'm probably not spending tonight in my own bed.

Of course, in the case of New York, you're in quarantine heaven once you cross into Delaware these days. At times, most of the states to North Carolina are on the "naughty list."

I long for new adventures, maybe with companions old and/or new.

Any travel in 2020 has been mostly close to home. We went about three hours away to Reading and Allentown, PA back in June and were still back home that night. There might still be a chance for father and son to do something before the year is out, I guess.

But, back to this morning. It just had that feeling of a need to do more than drive to Carmel or Peekskill.

The open road was calling and I couldn't answer.

It will happen.

It will.

No comments: