Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Six Hours of Hockey


I'm gushing about the just-completed Columbus Blue Jackets/Tampa Bay Lightning playoff game.

Or, should I say, 2.5 playoff games! That's right. They were well into the eighth period -- the fifth overtime -- before Brayden Point rifled a shot past Joonas Korpisalo for the game-winner.

It's the fourth-longest playoff game in NHL history.

I will no doubt question the sanity of those who don't like hockey tomorrow on "Doubleheader." Especially playoff hockey.

Plus, for my Greenwich friends, the game included by Cam Atkinson and Kevin Shattenkirk. Those two have ties to Greenwich, as Atkinson is from there and Shattenkirk played for Brunswick (and who was his play-by-play announcer? Hmmm).

Speaking of play-by-play announcers, what a phenomenal job by Gord Miller, on the call for NBCSN tonight. He, Mike Milbury, and Brian Boucher kept their energy up throughout the broadcast. I know other crews no doubt did the same, but I watched the NBCSN call, so my respect goes to them first.

I've experienced my share of long broadcasting days, but a 6.5 hour game? Er. No.

But it's more than just the voices. It's every person behind the scenes of a broadcast, which can be fairly extensive when talking about NBCSN and the respective team crews. On the radio level, the crews are much smaller.

But, regardless, the point is that everyone, from pre-game to in-game to post-game deserves a tip of the headset tonight.

Just great.

(Oh, and for those of you still complaining about games still being played or whatever you're complaining about, stick it for tonight. This was epic. This was special.)

*****
Oh, and before we wrap it up, the new Robcasting mobile studio pod, aka "The Rob Pod," showed up today. No, it's not the green one (that one is still on order but I found this one the other day).

It's tall enough for me to stand in and still has room for equipment. Hopefully it will keep the equipment cool on hot days and out of the sun as well. It will also keep things dry.

At worst, I can sit in it in the yard.

And, yes, I might still get the green one (if only so Mick can continue to give me grief).

However, I have no need to use any of them for a broadcast for the foreseeable future. But, one can hope.

Sometimes, that's all we have.

No comments: