Friday, August 21, 2020

Fabulous Desserts!

I need to know how fabulous they are!
ALBANY, NY -- It took 30 seconds.

Maybe less.

The Vegas bookies haven't come to a consensus yet.

Sean wanted a picture with the Erastus Corning Tower behind him.

We stood up from our table at the rehearsal dinner for Eric and Meaghan's wedding.

Thirty seconds, tops.

"Sir?," came a voice. "Can you guys put your mask on? I'm sorry. I know it's such a pain."

My eye roll was likely felt in Schenectady, if not Colonie. Most definitely in Watervliet.

I get it (and they eventually gave up because virtually everyone in our party of 25 or so knew each other).

No need to say that I've been a good "masked man" since mid-March. Not necessary. I neglected to put my mask on quickly. Simple mistake.

Welcome to travel in a Pandemic in Cuomo Country, just mere steps from Andy's castle.

The hotel we're staying at (a Hampton Inn) has been fairly fastidious about cleaning. Every door is marked with a sticker on a right angle. It's like the tape on the hotel doors of the middle school trips.

There are constant reminders that things are clean.

Breakfast buffet? HAH! Here's a bag with a cold egg and cheese biscuit that you can heat up in your microwave, a small piece of cake, an apple and orange juice. It was better than nothing, and the coffee is always flowing.

To use the pool, you have to go to the front desk, register, and get a special pool key (please return after you're done!). Maximum guests: 10.

So Sean, me, Michael, Ashley, their kids (code names Elsa and Anna), and Conor splashed around for our appointed one hour and forty-five minutes. Maybe (barely) more. Maybe less.

Hard to complain about any of it, considering where we were just a few months ago.

We're here and we are ready to celebrate the nuptials tonight at a wedding perhaps unlike any other I've been to.

Social distancing required (again! Wear those masks when not seated!). There will be a DJ who will play music...for...background noise. No dancing, or so I'm told.

So when you're, basically, allowed to eat, talk, and there's an open bar, plus there's no Yankees or Mets games on...and did I mention an open bar...

I'm just saying.

Again, no complaints, even about the Mask Maidens back at the rehearsal dinner, though a little more grace time would have been nice.

And, no, I did not make Sean put his mask on for the picture.

Sorry, Andy.

*****
Oh, the post title and the picture. Sean and I ran to the nearby Crossgates Mall to take a walk. As we walked in, we spotted the signs on the Standard restaurant at the entrance.

LUNCH
DINNER
LATE NIGHT
COCKTAILS
GOURMET SALADS
CHOPS
SEAFOOD
BURGERS
FABULOUS DESSERTS

So, Sean is on a quest to understand WHY the desserts are FABULOUS!

Sub-topic: Are the salads really GOURMET?

I doubt we'll get an answer on this trip.

No comments: