Thursday, August 13, 2020

Sports This Fall (and Beyond)



I'm not a salesman.

Really, I'm not.

There have been myriad attempts to make me one, so much so that my heart literally sinks and my stomach turns when it comes up in a job interview or work situation.

"Have you ever done sales?"

Then there was the one job (actually, there were two) where I made it crystal clear before accepting the job that I was not a salesperson, only to get into the job and have them try to force sales on me (one of them in Greenwich, and it wasn't WGCH).

Would a salesperson like me to ride along to explain what I/we do to a client? Sure! I've done it and it's gone well. But make the call? No. No. No. No and, if I haven't made it clear yet: No.


And so it is (burying the lede which might get me excoriating in some circles) that I come to you tonight.

As of now -- at this moment -- sports are on the calendar for the fall in Connecticut. We'll still awaiting a final word from New York.

I feel -- with every ounce of certainty in my soul -- that these games should be on the air.

Professionally.

In the case of Greenwich High School, Local Live will have so much of it covered and their product is great and I'm thrilled to be a part of them. But, the games should have a professional voice.

HI! (Raises hand!) Let's get WGCH (and me) involved as your "voice."

My story is simple: I have over 20 years as a play-by-play announcer. Nearly 30 as a broadcaster.

Let me lead the way.

You want a student involved or another person? Sure -- maybe that can be worked out.

But sponsors are needed to get these games aired.

If the games are at hours when WGCH can't air it, then leave it to me to put the audio on Robcasting.

Look, fans (most likely) won't be allowed but I (most likely) will be. Let me be your conduit to get the action to your radio/smartphone/computer/TV screen (again, with Local Live included, where installed).

I've believed that local media -- print/digital/broadcast -- matter now as much as ever to relay the sounds (and sights) of local sports.

I want to show you and your audience that WGCH (and Robcasting) not only is still very much alive but that we still matter.

Make me a busy man. Make me even sleep at the radio station if necessary!

While Greenwich High is normally our first priority, prove me wrong! Come on, Stamford, you guys once had WSTC. Bring on ROB on GCH (and, again, Local Live where possible).

Port Chester? Rye? Harrison? And so many others?

(And, hi Mahopac. Robcasting and I are home and awaiting your call)

Now, to be clear, I'm not speaking for Local Live. I'm saying I work a lot with and for them. If you have a Local Live installation, chances are I can run my equipment through that and make it all sound great.

Let's load up the sponsors. Get in touch with me and I'll put you in touch with the right people at WGCH to make it all happen.

Let's partner with everyone!

The message I got this morning told me everything for sports on the radio (which is HUGE almost everywhere else in the country): "Need sponsors for that."

OK, challenge accepted.

You've just received my sales pitch.

Let's go.

(Yes, I'm aware that the CIAC situation is rapidly evolving but with time being short  -- and hockey, basketball, and more still to be played eventually -- my message still stands)

No comments: