Wednesday, August 26, 2020

No Justice. No Hoops.

(Sky Sports)

The rumor began yesterday, with the Toronto Raptors and Boston Celtics talking about boycotting the next game of their playoff series.

They were slightly upstaged earlier today by the Milwaukee Bucks and, ultimately, the other teams scheduled to play in three games.

I dutifully posted the details on my social media accounts and the reaction was exactly as I predicted, with me sitting squarely in the middle. Have at it, all.

For the record, I respect the players.

I've promised to listen and I stand by that belief. As such, I'm not reacting as I might normally do, and maybe my not doing "Doubleheader" today was for the best. That way, I can reflect, as opposed to reacting as the news was breaking.

(For sure, I'd rather be live to react to breaking news, but it's OK)

Would I rather the NBA play? Sure, and I felt "the Association," led by commissioner Adam Silver, had done everything to acknowledge the concerns of the players. The court was adorned with "Black Lives Matter" and players uniforms were allowed to include various messages of social justice.

But, after the shooting of Jacob Blake in Kenosha, WI on Sunday, those players felt not enough has been done.

Let's be clear: the video was awful to watch.

As I don't walk in their shoes, as I'm just a white guy who loves watching sports and talks about sports, I simply don't see where I have any business in judging, at least tonight.

Instead, I watched NBA TV with great interest. There's no question that the broadcast was slanted towards the players, and it's safe to say that it's understandable. The coverage was compelling and kudos to all for some fascinating television.

But, what is accomplished if it's just tonight (and, perhaps, tomorrow)? If it's just one game for each team?

The same can be said for the Brewers and Reds in baseball, who have also decided to take tonight off in baseball.

Do they simply make a point by taking a stand for these games or will there be more?

Is it enough that we're talking about it?

There are certainly things more important than sports and that's what these teams are demonstrating tonight.


Members of the 1928 Yankees stump for presidential candidate Al Smith
I know there's a belief that politics and sports don't mix. Trust me, I'd love to bury my head in the sand and not have politics in the same stew with sports.

Naturally, I just want to watch the game.

It doesn't work that way and, in truth, never really has. History shows that there have been many examples of the two canoodling.

The most obvious examples are Muhammad Ali, and the Black Power salute of Tommie Smith and John Carlos at the 1968 Olympics. But Jim Brown, Bill Russell, and many others through Colin Kaepernick and LeBron James have let their political voices be heard.

And now, six basketball teams in a playoff scenario in a "bubble" at Walt Disney World.

And two baseball teams as well.

It will be fascinating to see how this develops.

More tomorrow on "Doubleheader" at 4 p.m. on WGCH, Robcasting Radio, and Facebook Live.

No comments: