Saturday, August 22, 2020

Traditionally Untraditional

These three.

It often feels like it was a dream.

We left the house Thursday morning and drove to Albany. The rehearsal dinner was Thursday, Meaghan and Eric's wedding was last night, we had brunch this morning, and we're back home.

I've unpacked and done laundry. It's like the whole thing didn't happen.

Oh, but it did.

The wedding was a classy affair. While there were traditional elements, it wasn't traditional. Oh, I'm not just talking about a wedding in a pandemic. I'm talking about regardless of masks, social distancing, etc.

There was some dancing that got broken up everytime and there was nonsense with the masks, including the ceremony being halted. Seriously, Eric stood and waited for Meaghan because the mask police made sure she had the damn thing on.

I snapped on Sir Andrew of Bridge Naming. I assume some were not pleased.

Again: I'm all for the masks. We're doing our part. But, common sense.

And don't have a nervous groom stand in front of loved ones with a WTF face on as he waited for his bride-to-be.

OK, so back to the actual wedding itself.

Put the pandemic aside and it was still different. We sat at tables, as if we were enjoying a country day of conversation as we waited for the fried chicken to cook up.

That's where the ceremony was.

But it was more than that. None of the usual wedding trappings existed.

I truly enjoyed it.

More than anything, I hope they enjoyed it. Along with baby Carson, they have created a beautiful life that deserves warmth, luck, love and celebrating.

Their wedding also produced my first Uber ride. A prestigious moment, indeed!

My sister (don't blame her for the upcoming Tropical Storm Laura) encouraged me to do so as we had to drive into the middle of the country of Westerlo, NY. We needed to go early for family pictures and we could take the shuttle bus back at the end of the night.

Laura and my mother both wanted me to relax and not worry about driving. I, of course, resisted. They, of course, won.

And if you need an Uber in Albany, NY, Omar will take good care of you, with his Jamaican accent and good nature.

"Dats What's Up," he said upon learning I was a sports broadcaster.

He took to calling Sean "Rob Junior," encouraging the soon-to-be college student to get behind the wheel and drive us back home today (no chance. Literally none).

It was a trip in that we traveled and stayed in a hotel, but yet it just felt so easy. Fast.

Albany is also another one of those places that I'm extremely comfortable driving and navigating in.

"We wanted to go to (insert store name)," someone said.

"Oh, over on Wolf Road? Go out of here, make a left, jump on 87, go three exits," I said, unflinching.

I also made the sad trip over near the Albany airport where Heritage Park -- the former home of the Albany Colonie Yankees, played minor league baseball. It was also the site of the first minor league game I went to, all the way back in 1991. Save for a view on Google Maps, you can't tell there was ever a ballpark there.

Still, it was nice, because everyone seemed to agree that Albany is a good area, and that we all felt we would come back.

Including Sean.

I guess it gives me a slight hope that maybe we can make some other travel plans before 2020 brings down its sickly curtain.

But, for now, we're back home with tales to tell, laughs to be had, and lives to proceed with.

The memories are there.

But it feels like the whole thing never happened.

The road home

No comments: