Monday, August 10, 2020

So There's That

Thanks to Mahopac Softball for this mask. Only $10 and it's comfortable!

It's 10 p.m. and I'm devouring two chili dogs that might kill me. So, I've got that going for me.

Here's how the day started, and I hesitate to tell this story: I was scheduled to host a podcast recording session this morning. So, after the usual Monday hijinks, including a fast run through the grocery store, I returned home and made sure everything was ready.

"I should have a drink with me, in case of dry mouth," I thought. I'll grab a seltzer! I'm always thinking ahead! #Preparation

So, I walked over to the little fridge, blindly grabbed a drink, popped it open and took a swig...of this...

I bought some Yankees beverages for my nephew's birthday party (as well as my soon-to-be "nephew-in-law"), My nephew is a Yankees fan (I taught him well). My in-law is not, but it's all good.

After both laughing and cursing at my faux pas, I placed the wayward beverage aside.

The podcast went off without a hitch and I quite enjoyed it.

And then I finished the beer.

*****
I'm not sure when my next game is after tonight. I'm not panicking or complaining. I just don't know.

I've been told there might be a few things at a few places but nothing is firm.

The phone has mostly gone dead, and with today's news that football is almost certainly moving to the spring of 2021 (and, let's be honest, the entire fall season is likely not far behind), I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not under the headset again for some time.

I hope I'm wrong, obviously, but one has to be realistic.

Still, I'll treasure the last six weeks or so. Baseball proved again that they can play and #TheyWillPlay.

I enjoyed each phase of Danbury, the tournament Dutchess Stadium, and the Greenwich Cannons, who wrapped up the 17U championship tonight.

I also enjoy the community aspect of all of it. The families appreciate the effort, and tell me how the grandparents or aunts and uncles are listening. Many of the fans scatter around me while I call the game and I actually am amazed that I'm not unnerved by it.

The headset creates a false sense of security, to be honest.

I don't cut up as many play-by-play calls as one might think. If I don't like the call that much, then it just stays in the complete game file. But if I don't hate it, then I'll give it some life. Tonight, there were two moments of significance, beginning with a home run by Felipe Echeto.


Check this out on Chirbit

Then, with the Cannons in control, it was time to wrap up the title in a low-key style.


Check this out on Chirbit

There's no need to "freak out," have my voice change, overmodulate, and blow people's ears out. No catchphrases necessary. Report it. Be informative. Educate/Enlighten and Entertain. Simple, no?

They're number one. No question.
And so, friends, that's it for now. Is it scary? A little, I suppose, but no worse than many people who are struggling for work.

As for football being postponed until spring, I'm pretty rational about it. Had they played, I would have been shocked but was ready to go broadcast as much I could. Since they're not, I can appreciate their cautious approach, even if I don't always agree with it.

I feel bad for the players and coaches and families, but I'm hopeful we'll all get back on the fields again soon.

Until then, we'll see what doors open.
 

No comments: