Tuesday, September 01, 2020

Let It Go Today

Before first pitch last night
I woke up to a mistake today.

Wait, that's not entirely true.

I had been awake for only a short time when my phone buzzed.

It was let me know that yesterday's broadcast sounded great and the listener was enjoying it, but...

I had a name wrong.

HIS son's name.

My heart sank.

He wondered if the lineup card was wrong but, ever the honest soul, I immediately went and grabbed it.

Nope. I'm the idiot.

I wrote it down incorrectly and I immediately owned up to it.

To be crystal clear, he wasn't blaming or even angry and not even slightly upset.

I was told to not worry about it.

But, well, you know how this story plays out.

I told a few people and got mostly the same reaction: it happens and you're too hard on yourself. Shawn Sailer even heard me say it but assumed that I knew what I was saying (and I appreciate that faith).

Mostly, I was embarrassed. Bad traffic, quick setup, trying to find where we're not in the way, a place to plug in, blah blah blah...

It's no excuse. I just wrote it wrong.

Eric Scholl emailed me to say I was featured in in the Fairfield American newsletter. I told him how grateful I was about the "shout out" but how I also screwed up. I told him I was beating myself up.

(I hope he doesn't mind me printing his response)
Of course you are b/c you are a mastercraftsman in PBP broadcasting and always look to improve.
That said, let it go today :)
Did I let it go? Not really (well, sort of eventually) but I appreciate the support I received. I'll move on and you can bet I won't make the same mistake.

It happens. I just have to keep telling myself that.

*****

Jon From R-Va just posted that he got a copy of the holy grail of albums.

The Beatles "Butcher Cover," which was the first version of their American album Yesterday and Today.

Released in June, 1966 the album consisted of tracks from Help, Rubber Soul, and Revolver.

Tired of their "pop" image, the Lads were more than willing to take a new approach to how they were perceived. The photo shoot by Robert Whitaker was supposed to be a larger fold-out cover of images related to the Beatles' adulation.

In the end, just the "butcher" picture was printed. It was a commentary on the band being a "piece of meat," but they insisted it was also a sly protest against the Vietnam War.

Either way, the outrage from Capitol Records and record stores was immediate.

Initially, Capitol chose to paste a different cover -- over the band on a trunk --  over those they could quickly recall, but fans began stripping those off to find the "butcher picture" underneath.

Eventually, the record company realizes they had to start over and print the "trunk photo" on the cover. That cover made its way into the Adams household around 1966, owned by my sister with her own handwriting on it.


I am profoundly happy for Jon that he got this great piece of music history.

No comments: