Friday, April 24, 2020

Who's Zooming Who?

We've come a long way. Who remembers this?

A month ago, I'm not sure if I knew was Zoom was.

Now, it's almost like I can't live without it.

I had two Zoom calls tonight.

We're conducting The Clubhouse on it.

I've recorded podcasts and had guests on Doubleheader via it.

Now, I've been pulled onto something called Houseparty. So, hey, feel free to connect with me over there, I guess.

Quite a time, this is.

I was talking about that with my son today -- in person!

We were marveling at modern conveniences, as well as talking with my mother to get her perspective as someone who is old enough to remember World War II. Obviously, there was no Zoom back then.

Oh, and if I didn't mention, it's my mom's birthday. Tough old bird, she is. Every time I think things are bad, well, she rallies. The first quarter of 2020 was a bear, for more reasons than coronavirus. Things turned upside-down a little over three months ago. Multiple facilities later, things are, well, I guess they're better.

Anyway, when people want to complain about boredom or anything else in this pandemic, I find myself thinking about how lucky we are, at least from a technology point of view.

World War II? Just the radio and newspaper. Telephone also (Call MA-8-1234). Yes, people could go out but there were also hours when you had to be home, as she was reminding me.

Those of us from "my generation" remember channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13. Cable? What's cable? Oh, you mean closed circuit or that Wometco Home Theater. My parents weren't going to PAY for TV?

Nah, MTV ruled. My friends had it. I went there to watch it until that glorious day in 1985 when my sister insisted on cable being installed. It was just before Live Aid. Awwwwww yeah.

So, we've clearly come a long way.

What we have today allows to stay in touch. I can see my new baby great nephew, whom I no doubt would have met by now if not for COVID-19. I can visit with family and friends from anywhere.

Mark Jeffers, Dave Torromeo, and I can have a virtual happy hour and plot our next edition of The Clubhouse (a BIG Connecticut-meets-NFL football show is on the horizon next week).

Now I've heard the naysayers about Zoom specifically. Security concerns and whatnot. Duly noted, and I'm paying attention to it for sure. But, so far, so good for now.

These are the ways to fend off the loneliness and other demons. I have family stretched from Massachusetts to New York to Pennsylvania to North Carolina and Florida and parts elsewhere.

We can talk. We can see each other.

We've got that going for us.

Which is nice.

No comments: