Saturday, April 25, 2020

One Person's Waste of Time...


You probably know I love to travel.

From the planning to the packing to the rest. Business trip. Pleasure trip. It matters but it doesn't.

Just look at San Francisco. I was there for business but I made every second count, including one of the best days I can remember (I would have preferred to not be alone but so it goes).

Trip=trip regardless of what and why and I (generally) love it all, even if I'm grumbling in the moment.

But, burying the lede, I'm not here to merely talk about traveling but to use this is a prologue.

I read a click bait piece about "Ten Overrated Landmarks..."

We all have these kinds of opinions and, yes, places like The Leaning Tower of Pisa, Plymouth Rock, and Stonehenge do seem a bit, er, unimpressive to a certain extent.

Another one on this list is the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I have personal experience with that one.

You may recall I was in San Diego for a few days in 2011 before heading to a spot north and west of Los Angeles for the rest of the trip. We didn't have a lot of time, but it was enough to see some things.

What to do...what to do?

People tried to talk me out of it but I felt like I had to see Hollywood. I'm pretty good at seeing things and leaving so a lot of time wouldn't be necessary.

Long story short? I saw the theater where the Oscars take place, checked out the hand and footprints in cement and looked at some of the stars. I saw the Beatles' stars and Terry Bradshaw's but didn't see Vin Scully's. So it goes. It felt like I was able to check it off my list.

It was every bit as seedy as I expected it to be. For my money, I would never recommend Times Square to someone coming to New York (it's not seedy enough anymore) but still, most people want to see it, if only to say "wow" and move on.

As someone who doesn't really gamble, never plays poker, and is generally out of place there, I'll recommend seeing Las Vegas forever. Because, again, just seeing it is an experience.

So, I guess the point is, if you want to see Plymouth Rock or Stonehenge, see it. You might find it a waste. You might find it something that you were glad to check off the list.

Like so much of life, it's a personal preference.

No comments: