Tuesday, April 07, 2020

Can We Think This Through?

A New York Penn League ball, ca. 2009
Major League Baseball floated a trial balloon today in which they suggested the baseball could possibly return in May with regular season games starting in June.

Some were outraged. Some applauded the news.

I saw it as a touch of hope.

Not that I think it's plausible but that there was at least a conversation going on.

Look, this is phase one of probably many conversations. Health officials and politicians need to be involved. OKs need to be given and the whole thing needs to be ratified by the MLB Players Association.


I've heard all of the details that have been made public: teams would be in constant quarantine, they're talking about seven inning doubleheaders, electronic umpiring, teams sitting in the stands as opposed to dugouts, no mound visits, etc.

It's radical. It's weird.

It's not baseball's strong suit to do such things.

Yes, the TV networks want revenue. Sure. So, there's a money angle but it's not as prominent as one might think.

But, safety has to be first.

Second.

Third.

We've survived without sports. Definitely.

But, let's face, a big part of the lives of many (Hi!) revolve around sports in some way. I, personally, get a large chunk of my income and the economy is obviously a huge (yuge even) issue through this.

Many hourly, contract and freelance employees are hurting everywhere.

Now, that's not a reason to fly back to the ballpark or anything else.

So, like I said, this baseball idea is a beginning.

From the aesthetics of it all, I don't like the seven innings idea for MLB (it's done in MILB). I really don't like an electronic strike zone either.  I'm not bothered by the social distancing of teams sitting separately and so on but I'd be concerned about any contact. No high fives, obviously, but what about plays at the plate or base?

However there would also be constant testing. Constant.

But, really, how do your separate players and staffs from their families for potentially 4.5 months? I see that as a huge sticking point.

There's work to be done here, and that's why ESPN's Jeff Passan put it out to the masses.

But, as I tried to say when the news broke earlier today, don't overreact.

As someone who works in sports, I'm fine with having the conversation to see what is feasible.

Look, we're eventually going to have to start back up. Gov. Cuomo said so today in his press conference. Now, will we just "flick the switch" and go back to "normal?" No. Not a chance.

There will need to be a "soft opening," if you will.

Baseball -- sports -- which has helped this country in many times of need could potentially give a bit of a jump start.

I'm not trying to be Pollyanna here. I see all kinds of issues with this which is why I stress not overreacting.

So, I'm content to take a wait and see approach, which has basically been my thing since this started.

A lot will change before this comes to be.

If it comes to be.

No comments: