Monday, April 06, 2020

Robcasting Replay

Wibbly-wobbly, Timey-wimey: I need a TARDIS...or a DeLorean
Sometimes I just have to go for it.

I've been toying with playing games out of my archive on Robcasting, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic and I finally pulled it together today.

I began to sketch a format in my brain and made sure to not get overwhelmed.

So, with the help of Twitter (thanks to both Shawn Sailer and Matt Hamilton), I came up with the first couple of games that I wanted to play, and euphemistically called it the "Robcasting Replay."

Robcasting Rewind also would have worked but oh well.

I spent a few hours making sure to come up with a disclaimer to open and close the broadcast because I want listeners to understand that these aired on outlets beyond just Robcasting (think WGCH and HAN Radio) and that the ads listeners might hear are quite outdated.

Also, sound quality might be an issue and some of the games might have "off air" comments.

With all of that said (and recorded) I then looked around for some theme music, coming up with a punk song that I grabbed* the beginning and end of to create enough for a theme song. It was a good drum groove with a guitar lick that I liked.

*Royalty-free music, I might add.

Selecting music is always my least favorite job. Of course, if I really had my way, I would have taken "Back in Time" by Huey Lewis and the News but I didn't want to run afoul of HLN and their lawyers.


Matt Hamilton suggested the 2014 FCIAC football championship between Greenwich and Bridgeport Central. A few notes:

- Matt is just a kid, and I knew that, but he knows his stuff. It should surprise no one that he's now a star at the NFL Network.

- I talk too much. Too fast. Damn, Rob, but shut the hell up.

- Tom Kane and I have a nice rapport. Clearly we're having fun (Matt and his dad were also in the booth).

- Some in that booth in New Canaan were very much rooting for Central and I'd forgotten I politely called them out on that. I don't want them to root for Greenwich either. It's a neutral site. Be neutral.

- Central scored at one point and I said, "Touchdown, New Canaan." Oy. Sixteen years later, I cringed.

- Anthony Kalogrides, reading the halftime report, read a story that was cringeworthy at halftime. It happens but I remember standing in the booth just begging for it to end.

- But, to be fair, it does sound like a professional broadcast, so I suppose mission accomplished.

- Anthony Morello was among my guests that night postgame. Polished, professional, and a natural leader, it's easy to see why he's a head coach now.

- We had a lot of sponsors. We had sponsors for drive summaries and starting lineups and the pre- and postgame show and halftime. It was absolutely great.

I really enjoyed rerunning this game. Like, I loved it. Like, I surprised myself how much I enjoyed it.

What I also loved was that this game didn't exist on an internet archive before tonight (it will after tonight). It hadn't aired or been archived since that night in 2004.

I've already set tomorrow's game up. We're going to hockey (probably Shawn Sailer's number one requested game) as Greenwich plays Glastonbury in the 2015 Div I semifinal.

I've also had requests for the 2014 FCIAC football championship, my first Renegades broadcast, and my first game broadcast. I have a few others rolling around in my mind.

With the exception of Wednesday (leaving space for The Clubhouse), I'm going to try to play one each night at 5. That is subject to change, and please check my social media accounts as I'll update things there. I might play one earlier on Wednesday. We'll see.

Basically, any game from 1999 to today is up for being played so long as I have it in my archive. In some cases I'll have to convert it from cassette and I might just do that live for the fun of it!

Do you have a request? Let me know!

No comments: