Friday, April 03, 2020

Notes on a Broadcast (or Broadcasters)


I had the opportunity to critique the work of two young broadcasters today. Each one had different skill sets and were at different stages of their development.

Each one will get better with practice.

I took great joy in doing this and doing it for the right reason.

Not because I could make money off of them (I didn't) but because it was professional courtesy and my belief of paying it forward.

I love helping broadcasters achieve their goals and trying to bring out their very best. I also love passing on the wisdom of those that have walked before us.

These two are off to fine starts. They have opportunities that are great and have the humility that will carry them. They also understand that not everyone has the talent or ability to do this.

They have the right attitude. That matters. A lot.

*****
I'm very excited to announce "The Clubhouse" is returning next week. Mark Jeffers and Dave Torromeo joined me on "Doubleheader" today and, among our topics, we announced that not only would the show return, it would be on a network of stations!

So you can catch "The Clubhouse" on WGCH, Robcasting, and we'll be distributed for a limited time (and maybe more) by Sports Byline USA. That means potentially over 200 affiliates around the country and the Virgin Islands as well as Sirius-XM (on the Dan Patrick Channel -- Channel 211) and American Forces Network (Armed Forces Radio).

My understanding is the Sports Byline USA distribution will be via tape delay over the weekend.

If you don't know, "The Clubhouse" is sort of a sister program of Doubleheader in that we have guests (and some pretty prominent ones, I might add), commentary, "The Clubhouse Report" and some fun.

Normally broadcast from Grand Prix New York in Mount Kisco, NY we'll be doing the show via Zoom funneled to me and then passed onto WGCH.

If you're familiar with the show, then know that nothing will change despite the national rollout. It's still going to be Westchester/Fairfield/Putnam County-based with a national edge.

We're excited. Plus it's a sense of normalcy.

No comments: