Sunday, April 26, 2020

The Loretta Swit Interview

Alan Alda, Wayne Rogers, Loretta Swit
I was preparing to go on the air at HAN one morning. I was gathering scores and writing my script. It was April 2016.

"We can interview Loretta Swit," Coffee Break anchor and my then-coworker Kate Czaplinski said.

While I was sports director or sports anchor or lead sports play-by-play voice or whatever my title was at that point, I knew this interview should be mine.

"I'll do it," I think I said.

Loretta Swit  -- once and forever Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan from M*A*S*H -- was coming to Bridgeport to perform in a one-woman show as Eleanor Roosevelt. Given my knowledge of M*A*S*H as well as the Roosevelt's I felt I was suited to conduct the interview.

Kate agreed.

The interview took place four years ago today. When Ms. Swit called us, we struggled to get her via our phone system (our fault, not hers). I asked if she would consider Skype and, while she had never used it like that before, she said would give it a try.

The interview went off without a hitch after that. She was polite and delightful and it was a highlight for me. In this case, the thing for an interviewer to always remember and understand is that Ms. Swit is coming on first and foremost to promote her current work. Thus Eleanor Roosevelt was at the top of my thought process. I'd only ask about M*A*S*H and other things when appropriate.

She's also a wonderful follow on Twitter and Instagram where she not only posts about her career but about her passions, including animals. Her Instagram feed is full of old pictures from M*A*S*H. She has done many other interviews, including appearing with fellow M*A*S*H cast members on Alan Alda's podcast some time back. I consider it a must-listen.

But, I also recommend you listen to this interview.

It's a favorite of mine.

No comments: