Saturday, April 11, 2020

Those Last Words

Interstate 95, Stamford, CT on Apr 11, 2020 at 7:11 p.m. (CT Traffic Cam)

The last game I broadcast on-site was on March 9 in Trumbull.

A day later, everything changed.

Still, I called Brunswick/Episcopal lacrosse on March 12 from the Local Live Stamford command center.

A month ago tomorrow.

Since then, I've done a Hunt Scanlon podcast and I've gotten back to hosting Doubleheader along with The Clubhouse, but all from home.

Which, by the way, aired overnight on American Forces Radio and Sirius, and will do so again tonight.

Trust me, based on the overall thud of all of this, you don't care.

Sadly there are metrics for these things and that's when I start wondering why I bother.

To that end, I have become obsessed with Robcasting Replay.

I only wish more shared that emotion and I finally had to recognize that myself today.

I was going BIG this weekend. Two games Friday!

Hell, let's do SIX this weekend!

I stayed up a chunk of the night editing.

Wait. There's a mention of gunshots at a Central/Harding game during our call of the Darien/New Canaan from 2014! Someone is going to think that's fresh news. DELETE IT!

I need a Brunswick game! I need a Mahopac game! Let's convert cassette tapes from 2001. Let's GO!

Suddenly the sound of brakes screeched.

Hold on there, Richard Petty (is that reference still relevant?). I know people appreciate your efforts, I told myself. You have a few people who listen to and read basically everything you do.

So, I backed down to two games today and none tomorrow.

You see, I ran the 2015 girls hockey classic between ETB and Simsbury. They retweeted, liked, and listened. That's when you want to do more. It drives you.

Then I ran Darien and New Canaan football from Thanksgiving, 2014. I might have been the only one listening (that's an exaggeration).

The point is to do this because I WANT to do this.

So I'm writing the post early tonight, whining to you about this stuff. Then I'm shutting down. The computers are bring turned off.

I'm not giving you my five albums for no good reason or one of the many memes and chains running around (though that might be tomorrow's post). I'm also not going to complain about how Mickey Mantle's triple crown in 1956 is (currently) beating Roger Maris' 61 in 61 in #TheBronxBracket.

Oh, wait. I just did. Well, that's a damn crime. I love Mickey (Mickey Who?) but Rajah got enough disrespect in the 60s. I know fanboys are always going to be fanboys, but be fair. Roger's 61 is still one of the great baseball moments ever, let along a Yankees moment.

Oh yeah, the post title. So, back to March 12. Going through all of these games got me to thinking about the last game I did and the last words I said before this all happened. I didn't say anything profound, except that I said (hoped) that Brunswick's next game would be their April 1 home opener.

"I plan on seeing you on April 1," I said. "I hope you plan on joining me as well."

There's still a bit of a rasp in my voice and no background noise (since I was in a studio). I'm trying to be upbeat but the whole atmosphere of that day suggested we were in for the long haul.

My last words reflect that.

"For now, stay safe. We'll see you soon. So long, everyone."


Check this out on Chirbit

We're still here of course and I haven't been back to Connecticut since.

I'm still hopeful. But, for now, those were my last words on a game broadcast.

And, for now, I'm shutting down. Until tomorrow.

No comments: